P-61Black Widow 1/48 Revell

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is one great thread trey, the amount of work youve put in is really going to show in the finished models , are they both going to be black or is maybe one going to be green/grey? Keep up the excellent work mate , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking Very good now. I can hardly wait to see the paint go down.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great progress, well done that man.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Tony ,yes a green /grey A and a all black B. Ian ,Colin thanks and Yes finally some paint I had a long airbrush session and got quite a bit painted today.

Started with a green zinc coat over the canopies

I applied some OD green on ship 2 as a gude coat and it still needs some sanding around the seams and canopy join areas.

Finally some black goes down on ship 1. First glance looks pretty clean and no seams or blems showing!

This calls for a tall frosty pint me thinks!

T

treyzx10r

Wheels are ready

Booms for ship 2 need some weight before attaching to the Pod

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress trey, the paint job looks excellent. Glad youre doing one in the OD /Neutral Grey scheme its good to see one in a different scheme. Wheels are looking sharp too! , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Tony thanks! I let the black paint sit in the sun for a few days and the filled areas did shrink a bit as I knew they would. I wet sanded those areas down and got rid of a few dust blems .

I then based it with some testors silver so I can salt chip the leading edges and canopy frames a bit. I'm hoping to be able to spot sand a few rivet and panel details as well showing some maintenance wear. Some blems around the canopy showed up after the silver base geuss I'm not done sanding.

Ship 2 booms on aligned and seams filled

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice now.

Good to see one in green/grey as well.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Awesome work going on there Trey, it's really coming together. By the way what's that float plane in the background? Also you've got one nice workshop great artwork on the ceiling.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Ian thanks,I could'nt just do 2 black ones! Vaughan appreciate the kind words,the float plane is Connors project he'll be posting his very first thread about it soon! The shop is compliments of Hurricane Charlie,it was reborn from the rubble that was left of my original Man cave. I hope to get some black on ship 1 again today. Right now I'm going nuts with Aires resin engines that arrived in the mail yesterday they are kits unto themselves!

T

treyzx10r

After fixing some missed blems I started using the salt method for ship one

Then some Testors gloss black reduced 30%

After rinsing and scrubbing with an old tooth brush

Ship 2 progress engines and nacelles in place

First Name
Dave
Excellent work as usual Trey.I will have to try the salt myself.I wasnt happy with the results i got withmasking fluid.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wow Trey this just get better every time you post your updates!

Vaughan

M

mobear

that salt method works really nicely,i might try it myself sometime

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent stuff Trey, top work!

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for all the comments from everyone, I appreciate the support. I'm struggling to stay focused here as the builds are branching off in many directions. I'm hoping to start working on the base soon and the support equipment. In the meantime trying something new for the 'spinning prop' effect. I started with some sheet plastic and using a circle cutter and some masking added some rings

added some sprue to the spinners in place of the props and tapered the ends

masked the reverse side for the 'prop'

after the color on one side the mask was pulled back to allow for a blend area for the black

masked removed

then some rubbing compound on the color side,this leaves only a trace amount of color toning down the effect.

Finished results

What do you all think ? Is it passable or should I bin it and stick in the static props?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well i think they look great Trey the only thing i would do differently is to make the rings on the inside a lot fainter/ not as deep if you can understand what i mean so they don't show as much