p40e in captured japanese markings

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi all , well its been a long time coming mainly due to the freezing weather weve had keeping me out of the shed, but here is the 1/72 academy p40e. I first saw this scheme when a thread was posted by ron cole ,who is an aviation artist, challenging anyone to make a model of this particular aircraft . Always one who likes a challenge, i decided to have a crack ,so here it is. The kit was a dream -fantastic fit and detail and great value too ,in this scale the academy kits take some beating. The most difficult bit was hand painting the orange and sharks mouth (in fact if you look closely you can still see the pencil lines under the red paint , oops!)but i dont think it turned out too bad.Decals came from the spares box.I didnt add the prominent aerial wires (from tail to each wingtip) or the ring and bead external gunsight because the photos of the actual aircraft show these arent fitted. Anyway have a look and any comments welcome , cheers tony:plane: edit. PS forgot to say , see also thread "someone must build this colourful p40e"

View attachment 22389

View attachment 22390

View attachment 22391

View attachment 22392

View attachment 22393

View attachment 22394

View attachment 22395

View attachment 22396

View attachment 22397

View attachment 22398

P1050752 [Desktop .JPG

P1050751 [Desktop .JPG

P1050744 [Desktop .JPG

P1050747 [Desktop .JPG

P1050753 [Desktop .JPG

P1050745 [Desktop .JPG

P1050748 [Desktop .jpg

P1050754 [Desktop .JPG

P1050749 [Desktop .JPG

P1050750 [Desktop .JPG

F

Fenlander

Wow, I remember the original posting and I remember thinking there was no way anyone would pull that off. I misjudged it by a mile. Great work Tony and kudos for having a go at it never mind pulling it off so well.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tony, you gave me the big 5 for my latest dio. and this is deserving of a darn sight more, I wish I could but I can't so.......

BIG FIVE TO YOU TOO!

Well deserved, mate.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tony,

You kept that one a bit quiet! What a little gem!

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers chaps, much appreciated, yes its been on the go for a while, theres a few more things starting to move a bit faster now too, heres a little teaser

View attachment 22409

P1050755 [Desktop .JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Beautifully done Tony. I remember seeing the original thread and thinking I could just about pull of the painting at 1/48 or 1/32 but you've pulled it off nicely at the smaller scale. I bet it took the proverbial blood,sweat and tears! Well worth it.

Nice 109 too,is it one of H-JM's Fs?

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Beautifully done Tony. I remember seeing the original thread and thinking I could just about pull of the painting at 1/48 or 1/32 but you've pulled it off nicely at the smaller scale. I bet it took the proverbial blood,sweat and tears! Well worth it.Nice 109 too,is it one of H-JM's Fs?

Cheers

Steve
hi steve , yes its the one thats going in the desert dio with his kubelwagen, when i get the base finished. cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, Painting those Sharks Teeth at 1/72 must have made your eyes water - Great job Cheers Derek

D

dubster72

I think this is brilliant Tony! I could never even attempt those teeth so my hat's off to you sir! The 109 looks good too!

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks derek , patrick , yes it was a tricky job , but helped no end by the magnifying lamp, the best 18 quid ive spent in ages! Ive also got a message from ron cole, the guy in america whose post about his aviation art website started it all. He s going to send me a print for completing the model!! Brucie bonus!!! cheers tony

N

noble

Tony mate this is fantastic work, i love the colour scheme and the sharks mouth is hand painted ... well done sir you can have five stars from me for this one, only hope my lancaster turns out half as good.

scott

B

Backbreaker

Top notch Tony.

Can't wait to see the desert dio complete with bird.

BB.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks gents, much appreciated ,especially the stars!! cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I can't believe i've missed this beauty, sorry Tony lol busy, you know how it is mate. Cracking job you've done though.

Top job, John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
As the thread says, colourful - and it is. It's a great contrast the orange and green. The shark mouth is brilliant, but after all those teeth, I think I would need therapy !! I haven't got a P40, but yours inspires Tony. Well done.

Colin M...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
As the thread says, colourful - and it is. It's a great contrast the orange and green. The shark mouth is brilliant, but after all those teeth, I think I would need therapy !! I haven't got a P40, but yours inspires Tony. Well done.Colin M...
cheers colin, i can wholeheartedly recommend the academy 1/72 p40e its a superb little kit,excellent detail(even down to tread on the tyres), tamiya quality fit ,super decals and all for about £6!!!! have a go at one youll love it , cheers tony