Paint brush selection

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
in my humble opinion sable all the way the are a brilliant brush for general and detail painting DO NOT USE for weathering as they are too good and softer than say nylon etc and as the guys say they run from £2 ----- hundreds

N

Norman44

Lynx, I don't agree that natural flat brushes are best, using acrylics more appropriate to use synthetic brushes, smt like that

the price is really inexpensive.

Last edited:
S

Stevekir

\ said:

I rinse in a pot of clean water to remove most, wipe in kitchen paper, (never twist the brush and you gently pull it thro the paper or you will ruin the bristles) then whilst its still in the paper give it a little squirt of air brush cleaner and and gently pull thro again.....repeat til theres no colour being left on the paper.............then dip in water again to rinse and gently pull the brush through your fingers so it reforms the bristles into a 'brush' shape.....dont squeeze it so all the water comes out, idea is to leave it damp so that it will air dry leaving the bristles in the right shape.

I use acrylics. My method is to run the brush under the kitchen tap and gently bend the bristles several times, not too much, until no more paint comes out. Then a light dip in some washing-up liquid (on a finger) and again work the brush gently until no more colour comes out. Rinse. Repeat twice more. Then I round my lips and draw the bristles out, to keep them together. It is surprising how much paint comes out when the washing-up liquid is used.

Drawing the bristles between the lips was done by factory workers painting radio-luminescent paint on to clock dials. Many died of cancer! It is interesting how in all crafts people use so many different ways to achieve their objective.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use a range of Winsor and Newton brushes designed for acrylic artists, though I'm using them with enamel paints.

This brush must be several years old:

These are neither the cheapest (nor the most expensive) brushes, but they are of a very good quality. This one is a little ragged but still has a decent point after all this time and use.

At the end of the day I think you get what you pay for.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:
I use acrylics. My method is to run the brush under the kitchen tap and gently bend the bristles several times, not too much, until no more paint comes out. Then a light dip in some washing-up liquid (on a finger) and again work the brush gently until no more colour comes out. Rinse. Repeat twice more. Then I round my lips and draw the bristles out, to keep them together. It is surprising how much paint comes out when the washing-up liquid is used.Drawing the bristles between the lips was done by factory workers painting radio-luminescent paint on to clock dials. Many died of cancer! It is interesting how in all crafts people use so many different ways to achieve their objective.
I use acrylics and I am prone to leaving brushes to long before washing. Now got a nice little unit. This suspends the brush above the bottom of the jar ie it does not spoil the end. Use Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner and this removes all the junk in the stock over night.

after rinsing with fresh water I place the brush between moist lips and gently roll until I get a nice point.

Laurie