Paint Brushes

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, as I'm just getting back into modelling I wanted to know what type/size brushes people use for different tasks, use oils, brushing and decals etc, just as a guide want to not have too many brushes just the good the bad and the ugly.
I make mainly cars in 1/ 24/25 scale hope all this makes some sense and doesn't sound stupid.

First Name
Wouter
I generally use a round 1 brush for chipping, detail painting and so on. Better to spend some money on a good quality one then buying cheaper ones all the time. I use Winsor & Newton Series 7 miniature brushes.
For weathering purposes I use different size flat and round brushes and usually these are less expensive ones.
Buy a good brush soap as well, helps keeping your brushes in good condition. And after cleaning, form the tip between your fingers and use some saliva, keeps the tip nice and pointy.

Cheers

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for that, that's my thought, just needed help in when to use good brushes and size against not so good for anything which can harm brushes, wow how modelling has changed since the seventies and eighties most of which was spent in the USA, models there were a lot of chrome parts as I remember.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I have used, and still do now & again, Winsor & Newton #7 kolinsky sable brushes that I've had for years, because for a long time sable was the only decent choice.
But I find them a bit too soft. Synthetics have improved considerably, and my preferred choice now is -

Winsor & Newton Sceptre Gold 11. These are sable - synthetic mixture and have a performance that is very similar to all sable, but are very slightly springier and more resilient. They are also cheaper; it's not just the price, I actually prefer SG 11 to #7
They are available at The Range hobby & household stores, or Surf t'Net
Of course, the only way to find out is to try them for yourself

Examples of prices - Sceptre Gold 11 size 1 = £4-10 size 5 = £6-50
(approx) Kolinsky #7 size 1 = £10 size 5 = £34

For cleaning brushes, I routinely use white spirit or water, depending on the paint, and now & again clean them with Masters Brush Cleaning Soap. Surf t'Net for availability, and YouTube for its use

Last edited:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks, boy oh boy have I got a lot of catching up to do, good job I'm now retired.