Paint consistency

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just about to paint my first ever figures (bar the 1/72 pilots i did as a kid). But as i only normally ever use an airbrush, i have no idea what consistency i make the paint. Also i need to figure out and get to grips with this witchcraft called a wet palette.

Any help gratefully received.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The consistency of milk is often quoted mate! Applied in layers to create the appropriate depth of colour!
Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Steve, I did read recently one drop of paint to 2 drops water.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Agree with Steve, I did read recently one drop of paint to 2 drops water.

Tap water? I only ask as i have some Vallejo Thinner (061) that i could use if that is better?

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
I generally add two or three drops of tap water to my mixing palette, if I'm doing a largish area - if it's only detail painting I use it neat! ( straight from the bottle onto the brush ). Too much water & it'll not only be opaque, but will run. I've struggled with a wet palette, and I just tend to layer & tint, especially on faces - relying on washes for the rest. I've been using acrylic varnish to act as a 'carrier' for tints - it's by way of an experiment, and seems to work.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A wet palett is the way to go with figures Alan. The dilution will take care of itself. You need it thin enough to flow off the brush without effort. Seriously though, look at a couple of starter videos by Vince Ventruella. Don’t worry about the subject, painting figures is pretty much the same whatever you are painting. He shows a wet palette in use and gives great tips on best practices. It’s far better than us trying to explain it in words :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A wet palett is the way to go with figures Alan. The dilution will take care of itself. You need it thin enough to flow off the brush without effort. Seriously though, look at a couple of starter videos by Vince Ventruella. Don’t worry about the subject, painting figures is pretty much the same whatever you are painting. He shows a wet palette in use and gives great tips on best practices. It’s far better than us trying to explain it in words :thumb2:

Thanks for the tip Tim!!

Alan good luck with figure painting!!

ATB

Andrew

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tap water? I only ask as i have some Vallejo Thinner (061) that i could use if that is better?
Alan I use either water from a dehumidifier or tap . We live in a hard water area , but doesn't seem to make any difference. Can't see any reason for not using the thinners if you want too.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i went for tap water and spent about an hour just getting this far. To be honest i had Spotify playing in the background (along with the storm passing though) and didn't realise just how engrossed i was in the painting. This pictures don't really show up the shadows as well but i am doing it in thin layers until i get more confident.

IMG_2468.JPGIMG_2469.JPG

Thanks for the tips guys

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good start Alan. Thin layers are all you really need. Two thin coats will dry faster than one thick coat anyway, and you will find the process easier.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I had a look at Vince's you tube channel and he has some really great advice on there, thanks for the recommendation Tim
Garry