Paint disaster help

D

davidvsb

Hi all, I am doing my first model at the moment and trying to build a replica of my 1990 mk2 golf gti. I have painted the shell with aerosol's and the paint has reacted in areas.

Is there a product that strips the paint off that won't damage the plastic shell?

Thanks in advance.

David

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi David,what paint have you used. Type and manufacturer would be useful information.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I hope your plastic primer went on okay because I don't think you'll get that off without damaging the plastic. I use the Halfords one and it really bonds to the plastic.

I'm only familiar with the clear Plasticote which says it is an Acrylic on the tin but certainly smells like something else.

You need to find a solvent for the paint that won't attack your model. I would try a cloth moistened in white spirit first. If that doesn't shift it you could try methylated spirit. It may need a bit of work. More aggressive "hot" solvents like cellulose thinners WILL damage the plastic.

If none of these work my last resort would be oven cleaner,the ammonia containing stuff that froths up and smells awful. Coat your model in it and put the whole gooey mess in a freezer bag overnight. In the morning you may be able to wash off the paint,maybe with the aid of an old toothbrush or similar.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,good or bad.

Cheers

Steve

D

davidvsb

Thanks, used white spirit and it worked a treat. Had to sand down the top coat to get down to the primer then worked it with the white spirit.

Got it in primer again now and so far so good.

F

Fenlander

Glad you got it sorted, it is heartbreaking when a paint job goes belly up bt you have done the right thing. Getting it back to primer and starting again is the only way, no good spending time trying to cover it. Well done, look forward to seeing it finished.

D

davidvsb

Thanks guys, got 2 mk2 golf kits and picking up my big bumpers today so will try and get some pics up later today.

Was also going to ask for suggestions for a good matt black paint to do the bumper and arch plastics? Was planning to brush this stuff on.

T

T. van Vuuren

You can try brake fluid aswell, it removes the paint and does not affect the plastic atall.Just get a container and put the piece in it.Easy

Theuns

K

kellysands

I've always used Halfords aerosols for painting cars. Stick with that for doing the arches and other black stuff using their satin black.