Paint for diecast vehicles

yan

First Name
Ian
Hello Mini Me thanks for your post I understand where you are coming from.
Looks like I have more research to do.
What about enamel spraying with an airbrush would this be possible to get a decent enough job.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think Jakko May have a point as well. For what you are doing, you may find car spray cans the best fit. It is paint that is designed to go on smooth, be tough when dry, and stay on sheet metal. You will get a lot of tins for the money a decent airbrush/compressor set up will cost.

yan

First Name
Ian
I think Jakko May have a point as well. For what you are doing, you may find car spray cans the best fit. It is paint that is designed to go on smooth, be tough when dry, and stay on sheet metal. You will get a lot of tins for the money a decent airbrush/compressor set up will cost.

yan

First Name
Ian
Hi Tim I will get a few tins and have a practise and see what kind of finish on metal I can get.
I am also going to call on a professional motorcycle airbrusher near me to get some advice.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Having owned and played with many Dinky and Matchbox toys over the years, They all were really heavily painted.
That’s what I was thinking too, yes. I think it’ll be difficult to recreate a finish like that with an airbrush (but prove me wrong :smiling3:).

To go the Spraygun route I believe I would need a much larger compressor and if going the automotive paints proper breathing apperatus.
I was actually referring to a modeller’s spray gun, like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Easily powered by a modelling-type compressor, and completely suitable for painting models in a single colour, especially if you don’t mind the coat being thicker than with a true airbrush.

Regarding rattle cans would you be able to get a quality finish from one of these.
Certainly, though like all these kinds of things, it takes a little practice. Depending on how much you intend to paint, it can be the more economical option, and clean-up is guaranteed to be far less than with an airbrush that you have to clean thoroughly after spraying (my biggest gripe with them :smiling3:).

By the way, if you reply to a message, you can type your reply in that, without needing to start a second message for that :smiling3:

yan

First Name
Ian
Thanks Jakko
yes I was thinking that you meant a proper type spraygun, I could easily get one of those guns I think Humbrol do them. We’re you meaning for me to use the enamel paints with the gun.
Thanks for the message tip.
Looks like I have a bit of trialling to do to find out the best option, I am going to hunt up some professional guys who work on motorcycles and cars with airbrushes and spray guns to get some advice as well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
yes I was thinking that you meant a proper type spraygun
That’s what I realised when I read your reply, so I should have been clearer from the start, really.

I could easily get one of those guns I think Humbrol do them.
Several brands do, and there’s some difference in them,* but really, unless you go for the very cheapest you should be OK.

* My very first airbrush was a Humbrol spray gun, back in the mid–late eighties, soon powered by a compressor my father built for me from a fridge pump. By the time that spray gun broke down I was using a proper airbrush, but later I bought a Revell one that I didn’t like much, and after a few years got a Badger instead that just feels better. Neither has been used for years at this point, though :smiling3:

We’re you meaning for me to use the enamel paints with the gun.
You can, I used to spray mostly Humbrol enamels out of my first one, but acrylics just clean up more easily so that’s probably the better choice in general.

Looks like I have a bit of trialling to do to find out the best option, I am going to hunt up some professional guys who work on motorcycles and cars with airbrushes and spray guns to get some advice as well.
When you do, keep in mind that model painting is very different from airbrushing artwork. The technical principles may be the same, but in actual practice there are a lot of differences in all kinds of things.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Don't forget to use a primer for metal. There after you can use any type of paint that you want.
Regarding the durability, you need to remember that the original use was for small kids to abuse, chew, lick, and generally treat not to gently.
Car paint rattle cans are going to work out rather expensive in the long run.
Acrylic is pretty tough when hardened, but an enamel like humbrol could be a better choice.
As to which type of airbrush, go for one that has seals that can handle so called hot thinners, such as cellulose.

yan

First Name
Ian
Don't forget to use a primer for metal. There after you can use any type of paint that you want.
Regarding the durability, you need to remember that the original use was for small kids to abuse, chew, lick, and generally treat not to gently.
Car paint rattle cans are going to work out rather expensive in the long run.
Acrylic is pretty tough when hardened, but an enamel like humbrol could be a better choice.
As to which type of airbrush, go for one that has seals that can handle so called hot thinners, such as cellulose.

Thanks for your post Ian I have plenty of work to do now, at present I am making a spray station.
I might then try a rattle can or two but not sure what the finish will be like, then I am going to try a small gun similar to the Humbrol one with enamels.
Depending on the outcome the next option will be the airbrush with acrylics, I was initially hoping this would have been the best way mainly because of
cleanup but unsure at present, lots of experimenting to do.