D

Dee

Hi All,

I have the following -

HELLER 1:24 Models

Suzuki RGV 500- 80922

Yamha YZR 500- 80921

Honda NSR 500- 80920

I have no paint or glue and I am seeking these items to start my modelling (hence how I found the forum).

Please any help/direction I would highly appreciate it!

PS- Advice on how/where to start is great also!

D

T

tecdes

Welcome Dee. You came to the right place.

Big ask but I know how it is having started about 18 months ago.

- Tutorail videos

This is an excellent start as it gives rudimentary tutorials & beyond. It will cost £3 to join for the month which is more than enough to get what you want. Or you can buy his DVD's. If you take this route & visuals are the best way of learning then come back & list your thoughts. This gives a good basis to start from. But not to forget that this is the way Flory does it. I took his way & then adapted it to my own way.

Also at the top of the page you will see Scale Model Shop. Go into that & you will see all that you will probably ever need.

John would like it but no need to buy everything just at the moment.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes welcome Dee.

I second what Laurie has said. The £3 pm for the Flory site is worth every penny and it has been a massive help to me, the tutorials are excellent. Like Laurie I have taken on board what I learnt and adapted it for myself.

D

Dee

Will look into it! :smiling3: Do you guys know what glue and paint I need for the models I listed above?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sorry - I am into WW2 32 scale aircraft so cannot help with that.

T

tecdes

Suspect like us all you want to dash ahead Dee. Look at Flory & most of your answers are there.

Glue depends on the technique you adopt. John in the Shop stocks all that you should ever need. The word glue is used but the basic method of fixing in plastic model making is applying a liquid which softens the plastic which then with pressure weld the two plastic surfaces together.

I use Vallejo paints. Here again depends on if you are going hand brushing or airbrushing. Hand brush Vallejo Model. Airbrush Vallejo Model Air. These are acrylic paints & Vallejo I have found for somebody new to model making easy to use & giving great results. www.acrylicosvallejo.com/ this will give a good incite to a popular range. There are many others but Vallejo I have found to be user friendly. Again the Shop has all of the Vallejo Model range. Also they arrive from John in usually (in Jersey) 24 hours after dispatch.

Flory will give you most of your pointers. Then come back with all the questions which will then have but will then be narrowed down.

Also come back with any other questions as there are loads of people here with vast experience all clamouring to give their ideas. You will never lack for an answer on any subject here.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If this is your first ever dive into the wonderful world of sticking bits of plastic together I think my first advice would be buy a cheap 1/72 scale kit. Any thing you fancy.

For ease of finding I would then buy a bottle of humbrol liquid poly and also a bottle precision poly- its a soft plastic container with a long needle like spout.'

A fine hobby knife, a couple of sheets of wet and dry paper.

The idea with the cheap kit it to have a practise victim. Something to cut, sand and glue. Two types of glue? The Liquid poly is very thin, almost like water and is put on with a brush. Hmm you better buy one of those as well. Quite small and fine with synthetic hair. (There is a brush in the lid of the glue but pull it off and throw it away. Big nasty thing that delivers way to much glue everywhere!!) You join thinks buy holding them together THEN touch the join with the brush dipped in glue. The glue will find out where it needs to be. Be careful not to use to much as it will run everywhere, also under your fingers.

The other one with the needle is a lot thicker and you apply it directly onto the one part with the needle, then present the glued part to an unglued part and hold.

For paint I to would suggest Vallejo. I use Model color for both brushing and spraying. On the premise that its easier to thin paint than it is to thicken it. Humbrol Enamel paints are also great for brushing, but they do smell and you will need white spirit to clean up with.

Then you will need some brushes. again personal choice but buy the best you can afford. a couple of flat ones and some pointy ones for detail work.

Have a go at the cheap kit and see why things work. Nowt worse than starting a model you really like and making a right mess of it and being put off for life.

Ian M