Paint Question

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, can anybody explain why I'm having this issue, I've cleaned the spruces then sprayed Vallejo primer and model air on two models both came out fine but when I came to masking, one is fine no issue but the other and the color was red if that makes any difference when I mask it and remove it, it takes the paint off leaving a nasty scabby appearance. Anyone know why ? :thinking:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi, can you give us some more details?
  • What did you use for cleaning
  • What type of masking tape did you use?
  • How much time between primer and color?
  • They both had primer or the red one didn't?

Cheers,
Steven

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, can you give us some more details?
  • What did you use for cleaning
  • What type of masking tape did you use?
  • How much time between primer and color?
  • They both had primer or the red one didn't?

Cheers,
Steven
Hi, I cleaned both the same way in slightly soapy water then fully rinsed, the tape is Tamiya, it was left overnight, 12 hours, from primer to color and they both had primer, all done the same way as I can recall. Tried low tack tape on both models and the same thing occurred on the red one did wonder if it was Vallejo paint but why one and not the other, one thing that springs to mind was the one ok was a Meng whilst the one with problem was Tamiya, strange.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Mark.

It's probably because the paint has dried across the edge of the tape. Best to remove the masking tape before the paint dries to get a clean edge. Some pigments dry differently from others, red being a bit of a b****r.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Think it must be its red maybe its thinner I dont know, other colors no problem.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Vallejo Primer is known for being problematical.
The way to minimise issues is as follows

1. Wipe the model with ipa to remove any release agent or finger grease.
2. Spray the primer in very light coats build it up slowly
3. Leave the model for at least 24 hours to cure. It can take longer if there is high humidity. Ideally put it in an airing cupboard.
4. Mask up but ‘de-tac’ the tape on you hand a little first
5. Make sure each time you mask for a new colour that you let it cure 24 hours first.

Most of the time that works but it is not infallible.

Better is to use Stynylrez Primer instead of Vallejo but still adopt the process above.

Otherwise if you don’t want the ‘faff’ use MRP But even with that do clean the model before spraying with I.p.a.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Vallejo Primer is known for being problematical.
The way to minimise issues is as follows

1. Wipe the model with ipa to remove any release agent or finger grease.
2. Spray the primer in very light coats build it up slowly
3. Leave the model for at least 24 hours to cure. It can take longer if there is high humidity. Ideally put it in an airing cupboard.
4. Mask up but ‘de-tac’ the tape on you hand a little first
5. Make sure each time you mask for a new colour that you let it cure 24 hours first.

Most of the time that works but it is not infallible.

Better is to use Stynylrez Primer instead of Vallejo but still adopt the process above.

Otherwise if you don’t want the ‘faff’ use MRP But even with that do clean the model before spraying with I.p.a.
Hi thanks for that input, agree with Vallejo primer have actually bought some Stynylrez primer although haven't tried it yet. Always give the model a clean first but I think "de-tac" is a good idea plus I wonder if I put the primer down to heavy to quickly, will try these ideas on my future models although my next model is Occre Jupiter locomotive which is multi materials so shall be using Zero paints which I like alot, they just "stink" a bit, another thing I'm learning is patience I think I've been very "enthusiastic" since re starting this hobby in the spring.
Boy oh' boy is there alot to learn but it's fun and I like it.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bin your Vallejo primers! I am Mr Vallejo through and through but I would never use their primers ever again. JimR introduced me to Stynylrez primer about three years ago and I havnt looked back.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Never used that primer but tried mr surfacer 1500, thinned 50/50 and very impressed.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Bin your Vallejo primers! I am Mr Vallejo through and through but I would never use their primers ever again. JimR introduced me to Stynylrez primer about three years ago and I havnt looked back.
I agree with that, practiced with a few different primers and the Stynylrez goes down well and more importantly stays put.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I used Vallejo primer on all my models, never had any problem... I spray it on in thin coats and usually it can dry for 24h because of limited bench-time (but sometimes after 30min).

My paint is stored at normal room temperature, and shaken well the moment I put it in the airbrush (0.3mm needle).

I usually try to degrease most of the model with alcohol.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
An interesting video Mark, 480 likes and only 19 thumbs down, so he didn't upset many at all.
I've tried both and the new Mig One shot ,that still needed thinners even using a .4 at 20psi.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
An interesting video Mark, 480 likes and only 19 thumbs down, so he didn't upset many at all.
I've tried both and the new Mig One shot ,that still needed thinners even using a .4 at 20psi.
Haven't tried mig yet will use what I have first.

D

Deleted member 7181

I thought the mig one shot was just rebadged stynylrez, like UMP.