Paintbrush Question

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, this might be a dumb question but here goes, with my paintbrushes came the little plastic tubes to protect the tip, now is it good to keep using them after use or as someone I know told me it can make them sweat after cleaning, is this the case or is it complete rubbish.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I use them on my best ,fine brushes mark , i do it to stop the tip getting bent . The ones ive got are an open ended tube so i cant see how the brush could ‘sweat’ , any moisture left in the bristles will slowly dry out and escape through the open end .

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I always use the tube for the same reason as Tony.

Something else I do, without thinking about it, is to run the clean brush down my tongue before putting it away. It’s a habit I guess since I can’t explain why (maybe art classes?) but I believe the saliva dries and holds the bristles together.
Anyone else do this?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They should be used to protect the tip. They should also be used to enable the brush to be stored point downwards. That way all remaining moisture and paint migrates away from the ferrule and doesn’t dry there and splay the tip. I got this from a brush site (either Windsor and Newton or Rosemary and Co). Basically then, clean the brush, repoint the brush, replace the protector, store point downwards until next use.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Something else I do, without thinking about it, is to run the clean brush down my tongue before putting it away. It’s a habit I guess since I can’t explain why (maybe art classes?) but I believe the saliva dries and holds the bristles together.
Anyone else do this?
Yep, I do. I do this after rinsing when the brush is in use as well.......

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

Anyone else do this?
Yes :smiling5::smiling5: