Painting a Lancaster Bomber - With a Brush!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great brush painting tutorial Ron, I left this dark art many moons ago when we only had enamels. Good thing VJ has come along to make things easier for brush painters. I use them for small parts and figure painting as the coverage is good straight from the bottle or in thin layers for figure painting. Anyone still using enamels or lacquer for brush painting planes, I tip my hat off to you and don't try the tooth pic thingy as it doesn't work for either of those paints as the solvent will eat into the clear parts...acrylics for that matter are safer.

The other thing Ron has mentioned is to be patient with the coats similar to painting emulsion paint on walls with a brush, the longer you let the coats dry the better the coverage will be. Even for that I switched to the roller which works just like the airbrush which does not disturb the layer applied earlier and lets you coat a little faster.

Ask me if I'll brush paint a large surface needing an even coat...only when my airbrush conks out...and I know I can rely on this tutorial to get me through and ofcourse VJ.

Carry on Ron...the Lanc is looking pretty good, love the streaking on the wings...we purposely do that after we airbrush so that's one up for brush painting. :thumb2:;)

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Must thank you for this 570, think we A/B users were put off by the first thinned coats, thinking it would all be like this. Certainly enlightened me.

Brush House .
Broomsville.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
I found it interesting and useful. I'm sure that having a paint brush regime that works - as shown here - can compliment my use of an airbrush. An example might be if masking for a camo was going to a b****r of a job. Perhaps airbrush the base colour and brush paint the camo. Canopies are also an area, as you've shown, where brush painting may be a good option.
Anyway Ron, thanks for the thread. More power to your hairy stick. Stay safe.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. I'm glad it was of some interest.

Jim, you make a good point about combining the two methods for an awkward camo. pattern.

Here is my attempt at brush painting Helmut Wick's unique camouflaged Bf 109. Maybe spray on the Lt. blue under colour, then brush on the Mottle?

Your suggested combined method would then keep both camps happy!.... :smiling::thumb2:

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 012.jpg

Cheers all and thanks again.

Ron

D

Deleted member 7181

Great stuff Ron, an interesting read from start to finish. Thanks so much for taking the time to compile it all.

For a start it does seem a whole lot less faffing around than using a hissy stick! I'm not saying I'm converted but you've certainly given me the motivation to try it for myself, and provided some very useful tips for dealing with large areas. When I've tried in the past the first wishy washy coat has always panicked me. I go back over slowly to try and improve it and end up making a right old mess, exactly what I shouldn't be doing by the sound of it.

The painting-before-assembly had me concerned as I wondered how on earth you would deal with gaps and seams afterwards, but you've covered that as well and it appears to be pretty much a non-issue. All in all a fantastic insight into the KISS approach. Thanks again.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks boys. I'm glad it was of some interest.

Jim, you make a good point about combining the two methods for an awkward camo. pattern.

Here is my attempt at brush painting Helmut Wick's unique camouflaged Bf 109. Maybe spray on the Lt. blue under colour, then brush on the Mottle?

Your suggested combined method would then keep both camps happy!.... :smiling::thumb2:

View attachment 381662

Cheers all and thanks again.

Ron
That Helmut Wick mottling is a no no for airbrushing on, I'd be stupid to try masking that...I heard he used a broom brush for that. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andy and Paul. Glad you enjoyed the read.

...I heard he used a broom brush for that. :smiling6:
Cheers,
Richard

Richard. I don't know if he used one, But I certainly did! :flushed:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Brilliant Ron, absolutely brilliant. The only thing missing is some of your water ;)

There is always a place for the good old hairy stick. I still have and use a mug full of them.

Cheers

Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Absolutely fantastic thread Ron!!! You hit every problem area I ever had and showed me the error of my ways. Thank you so much Sir for taking the time to set us straight!!!

Just one thing though.....

Anyway Ron, thanks for the thread. More power to your hairy stick.

I am beginning to worry about Jimbo a little………………………….

Bleib Gesund
Allen

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Very very late to the party. Sorry. As a beginner who is currently learning the trade, I found this thread so interesting.
It's ok, I'm even later!
The tutorial threads are really useful - while I've got an air brush, I've never used it (the closest I've ever been is car and motorcycle painting using rattle cans, and 'brasso-ing' off the dimpled finish) I've just recently tried the 'Rons style of paint' with humbrol enamels - thin it down and apply more than one coat, gives far better results than a single thick coat. I'm taking his advice on the brushes as I'm 'financially restricted' (wife can and does find other things for me to spend my money on! :smiling5: :smiling5: ) so keeping costs down is always favourable!:thumb2: