painting a wood effect?

N

No.6

I am currently working on a 1/32 Sopwith Camel kit by Academy

Things have been going well so far and I have been enjoying the build/paint however I would like to achieve a wood grain effect around the cockpit area.

I have been thinking of a couple of ways to achieve this, one involving painting the desired area a light color of brown then giving it a wash of a darker brown and perhaps using a coloring in pencil to draw on a grain. This is just a thought though. :thinking:

I was wondering if anybody might know tried and tested way of achieving convincing wood grain effect?

I have never had to paint a wood effect on a figure!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated; I feel the model has come to a bit of a halt at the moment. :sad:

N

Nigel.D

paint a dark base coat then when dry a lighter top coat ! then simply get a comb and drag it through the paint ! you have to jiggle it a bit but it produces a good wood grain effect

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I once saw a mini done all over in woodgrain,it really looked fantastic and just as if it had been made of wood,the owner used a similar system to Nigels idea,in this case a rubber dog grooming comb was used to drag the colours,this technique was used by professional grainers,a job that is all but defunct.

As a variation go to your local art shop and buy a flat rubber artists shaper,cut slices into the rubber portion just like a comb with a craft knife dipped into water,you then have a miniature wood graining tool for your models.

N

No.6

thanks for the advice guys, I will try these techniques out

will let you know how i get on

:smiling3: