Painting acrylics - Has my paint gone off?

First Name
Anthony
Hi All,

I used to model as a child (some 20 years ago!) and a few years ago wanted to start again.

I purchased a series of paints about 5-7 years ago and built a M2A2 that i primed, put a base coat on using tamiya TS spray can then paint over the top in tamiya acrylic paints and loved it!

I tried to buy another last weekend after a very long hiatus but the acrylic paints don't seem to be sitting on top of the TS spray properly at all - have they gone off?

I've attached a couple of photos - any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2944.jpeg
    IMG_2944.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2987.jpeg
    IMG_2987.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 26

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I presume you have mixed the paints within an inch of their life since they've been sitting for so long?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi and a warm welcome to a great forum. If the paint is very well mixed then I suggest the issue might be the thickness of the paint. If it's old it may well have thickened in the pot. Brush painting with acrylics is far better done with multiple, thin coats. The first coat or two will look terrible but don't be tempted to use thicker paint, just add a couple more thinned coats.
The master of brush painting on the forum is a guy who goes under the name of Spanner 570, Ron. He advocates multiple, thin coats and his results are amazing.
Jim

First Name
Anthony
Firstly thank you all for your replies!

I've just popped out and bought some brand new paint - i'll test it later thinned with water and thinned with acrylic thinner. I found when i applied some to a ready primed sprue it took to it wonderfully. But to a unprimed piece a bit ropey and looking a bit rubbish (as does all my painting).

I'll persevere to try and understand if its the thickness, the age of the paint, or the brush (i also bought a thicker acrylic paintbrush).

Fingers crossed i manage to resolve it as i love making models and its woefully disheartening to spent hours building a model only to ruin it with my abysmal painting effort.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You learn new things on every build Anthony. Even those of us that have been doing it for decades.

Don't be too disheartened. If it came to the crunch and you really wanted it to be a proper job, you could always strip the paint off and do it again