Painting aircraft

E

Eddm87

hi.
I will be painting (no airbrush kit) the main shell of my aircraft in the next couple of days. Im only really using this model to practice on, so don't mind if it comes out a bit off.

I wonder, which is best to paint with for this? Acrylic or enamel?

Should I thin the paint and apply several coats or just a couple of unthinned coats?

Also, camo. I have heard there are loads of ways,
I haven't decided which way to go. Free hand?
Or masking using tape. Any pros or cons?

Lastly...
When I do the top camo layer, should I thin or not?
I worry that freehand it needs a good 1-2 layers (so probably not thin) as my steady hand just won't be good enough to go over exact places again and again.
Alternatively, if I use masking tape (revel brand) I have heard that I need to get it off quite quick as it can remove the under paint as well as leave lines between one paint and the other.
This would make putting lots of layers on difficult!!

Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Edd

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

enamel is probably the best way to go if brush painting mate.
Alternatively, if you have your heart set on acrylics, look at Vallejo's model color line.
Freehand is the best to go if brush painting, as masking with tape has a large chance of paint build up against it, leaving unsightly lines against the demarcation.
Cheers, John

D

dubster72

Normally, I'd go with enamels for brush painting large areas because they dry more slowly than acrylics which reduces the chance of unwanted brush marks.

However, check out Rons (spanner570) Leopard thread - he uses Vallejo Model Air (the kind that's pre-thinned for airbrushing) & gets great results using a brush.

Rule of thumb, several thin coats are always better than 2 thick coats.

As John says, freehand is the way to go for doing camo. You'll get buildup or the paint creeping under the tape otherwise. Getting it right isn't easy, but that's what practice & experience is all about! ;)

Whatever happens, don't worry about it too much or be too self critical. We all started somewhere & those first builds weren't too clever! Perfection is unobtainable - just enjoy the experience.