Painting for Underwater

First Name
Mudman
I am wanting to place a plastic model in a snowglobe, so it will live in water and the painting will have to be waterproof. I am aware of some spray products, like Krylon Fusion that should work, but I am wanting to do a fair amount of detail painting and spray paint is not ideal. I would like to work with a brush, perhaps with acrylic paint, and then seal it with something clear that will completely protect it sitting in water for its life. I would love to hear any and all suggestions for my little project. Thanks!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry but i cannot help you with your question Doug.

But welcome to the community and look forward to seeing this build

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Welcome Mudman,
I don't know anything about snow globes, but did a quick search on google,
here are some quotes I found, perhaps it's useful I don't know :

Anything called sealer, varnish, lacquer, or clear coat should be essentially perfectly waterproof. I'm personally inclined to suggest Testor's Dullcote though--it's oil-based (hydrophobic) and highly regarded among miniature-painters. But any spray-on sealer (I use Krylon usually. Testor's fans have the louder voices though--I just haven't finished a mini since I bought my dullcote) should suffice.

You will also need oil-based enamel paint, sandpaper, epoxy, distilled water, glitter, and glycerin (available at drugstores).

First Name
Mudman
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it seemed to me that an oil based sealant would work. Am still thinking that I would like to paint with acrylics under that sealant but still not sure it is wise. But even enamel will saturate in water it seems to me.

I have all the supplies on the list you provided, but sandpaper? Just to remove aberrations on the model?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Maybe a polyurethane varnish to go over the acrylic paint? I’m thinking any varnish sold for outdoor use would work. Making sure to cover the whole thing, including any exposed undersides, of course :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was thinking possibly yacht varnish? It’s probably more important to use a good primer and surface prep under it though....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I would be a bit concerned about acrylics immersed permanently in water, especially with glycerine in. My suggestion would be enamels or lacquers. Whatever you choose though, try it on something you don't care about before risking you model. Do you have any of those white plastic disposable teaspoons? They'd make good test pieces.
Pete