Painting guide help...

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A couple of weeks ago I bought this. I sat down tonight to see if I would need to restock the paint box. The paint guide is in Japanese....eek I can't read Japanese. Would anyone be kind and point me in the right direction please. I use Revell paints. A rough guide will suffice. Thanking you in advance.IMG_20190727_155340.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Paul,

I had the same kit and I can't find my directions for it. I offer you a Tamiya paint list that should help. Are you planning on finishing it in the Africa Corps finish with the figures? The Tamiya paint names should help in selecting the Revell colors you need,
I hope that this helps a bit…..

Prost
Allen

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Paul

A very popular kit to build and there are a few variants as far as paint scheme goes. The Panzer II F started to roll off the production line in March 1941. Production stopped at the end of July 1942. A total of 1,004 entered service. They were used mainly on the Eastern Front as a reconnaissance tank but some Panzer II Ausf.F light tanks were sent to Libya as replacements.

If you go for the Eastern front them you are looking at gray - Panzergrau color (RAL 7021) Revell Tank Grey, Mat (78). As time progressed the Germans would add on field camo patterns with mud and then brown paint Rotbraun (RAL8017) Revell Rust, Mat (83). Partly in 1942 and then mainly in 1943 the base coat would be Dunkelgelb (RAL 7028) Revell Sandy Yellow, Mat (16). Also there are examples of them with winter camo.

If you wish to base your model in North Africa then the Germans used brown yellow (Gelbbraun, RAL 8000) Revell Dark Earth, Mat (82). The colour chosen for camouflaging was green gray (Grau Grün, RAL 7008) Revell Olive Brown, Mat (86). During 1942 to the end of the conflict in '43 the basic colour was brown (Braun, RAL 8020) Revell Ochre Brown, Mat (88) and camouflage Grau RAL 7027 (gray) No Revell exact colour

This was an extensively used model of tank and there are several other camo scheme examples recorded. However what I have described are the main painting schemes. There are several videos on You Tube to help you with the painting and weathering of this model

Panzer_II_AusfF_kharkov43_HD.jpg372546215bf878f2b5b1f57adca4dbce.jpg

I dont want to teach you how to suck eggs but if you need a painting guide for tyres, tools, barrels etc let me know. Good luck with the build

Steve

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. Your help is very much appreciated.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I can't read Japanese.
Google Translate can. Do you have a smartphone? If so, install the Google Translate app (search for that in the App Store if you have an iPhone, or in the Google Play store if you have an Android phone). Open it, then in the main screen, set the From language on the left to Japanese and the To language on the right to whatever else you want — I presume English :smiling3: Then tap on the camera icon a little way down the screen and point the phone at the Japanese text. If the instant translation icon is selected at the bottom of the screen, you will see an almost immediate translation of all text in the picture.

That’s a bit shaky, though, and prone to switching between words or phrases at the drop of a hat. You can also tap the “Scan” icon (I think that’s what it’s called off the top of my head) in the middle at the bottom and then take a picture by tapping the circle that will appear above it. The app will then scan the picture for text and mark it with little white rectangles. Tap those, or drag your finger over them to select them (turn them blue), and a translation of all the selected text will appear at the top of the screen. You can zoom in and out by pinching with two fingers (move them away from or towards each other).

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,
I have a good free app on my phone that, although not perfect gives you a paint conversion between all the main manufacturers it also has a scale converter. I use it all the time. Hobby color converter just look in the playstore on android or the apple alternative.