Painting guns

• Thread starter Tyler Christiansen
  • Start date
T

Tyler Christiansen

Hey guys I've been wondering this for a while so I've decided to post this question:

When painting 1/35 guns what do you guys use? For the metal parts I use Tamiya's gun metal but for the wooden parts I don't know what colors to use so what do you guys use?

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Hello bud' well I also use tam for the gun and for the wood I use xf 60 mixed with a little xf 15 then a few thinned coats of x26 clear orange then once dry use oil colour dark brown put on think and wipe of with a moist brush of oil thinner to get the wood grain.., hope this helps and good look

Geegad

E

Edgar Brooks

For gunmetal, try matt black, with (HB) pencil lead rubbed into it; it's an old trick, but still viable.

Edgar

O

Oggy

\ said:
For gunmetal, try matt black, with (HB) pencil lead rubbed into it; it's an old trick, but still viable.Edgar
I was going to suggest that too - a trick taught me by an RC flying colleague. He has been world scale champion.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
For gunmetal, try matt black, with (HB) pencil lead rubbed into it; it's an old trick, but still viable.Edgar
I still do that....showing my age.

For the wooden parts,particularly of German hand operated MGs I use a method similar to Geegad but make sure no two are exactly the same colour.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Yes, me to...always have done, no faffing about, simple. The only difference Edgar, is I use a much softer pencil....5B, it gives a deeper 'shine' than HB.

Please understand it's just my choice and each to their own!

Good point from Steve.....No two trees produce the same colour timber...They don't grow like that!

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tyler Christiansen

ok thank you all for the tips Ill use them next time I paint some guns