PAINTING RAISED 1/48 SCALE HYDRAULIC LINES

T

Tom Morfy

I would like some direction on how to successfully paint small details such as raised hydraulic lines etc. that are molded on certain parts of my current modelling project. Do you premask them and then aribrush ? Any suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

W

Willi262

I use the "dry brushing" technique when painting small raised detail lines. Sometimes not, if the target is large enough. But dry-brushing works well enough in most cases. Mostly because I am also mainly a 'hand-painter'. Only rarely do I even use spray cans.

T

Tom Morfy

\ said:
I use the "dry brushing" technique when painting small raised detail lines. Sometimes not, if the target is large enough. But dry-brushing works well enough in most cases. Mostly because I am also mainly a 'hand-painter'. Only rarely do I even use spray cans.
Thanks Willie. I think I'll try your approach.

Tom

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Tom, I take it these pipes are already moulded onto a piece. If so, then it all depends how good you are in painting. I.E paint the pipework in the colour you require then paint up to the pipework in the background colour, or vice-versa. You could try masking if you have lengths of piping to do. Or as Steve points out you could just highlight the pipework vis dry brushing, dry yellow to hint at the colour, dull down with a dark wash. What model is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Si:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'd be inclined to do the pipework first without worrying too much about paint going onto the background. That way, when you paint the background up to the pipework, you only have one edge at a time to worry about. Trying to keep the paint just on the pipework means watching both sides of the brush at the same time - if you see what I mean.

Gern