Painting small photo etched parts

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have just bought my first set of photo etched brass seat harnesses in 1/72 scale. They are made by Airwaves and unfortunately the buckles and raised surfaces are a shade of green and will need painting. Can anyone advise on the best method for this. I assume dry brushing to bring out the detail is probably the answer but any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

I have used acrylic to touch up photo etched parts. I would say this is OK provided they are not handled to much. Otherwise I think a flat oil paint such as Humbrol would have better stickability on metal. Better with hand brushing. With a small part very difficult to get overall coverage without tear drops. That is from the buckle & the owner of the buckle. Second thought here. Maybe being metal & in your case you may want a metal look then after applying the paint give a thin coat of gloss varnish.

Laurie

D

dubster72

PE brass does like a coat of primer I've found, but failing that I've always preferred enamels rather than acrylics.

Cheers

Patrick

K

kaiyudsai

The best results Ive gotten are to first glue and bend all of the seat belts and make your harness..... then spray on a good primer..... I like Alclad Primer microfiller.... they have black, white, gray, and clear......I use gray shaded with black (for the metal bits and ends of the belts)... then I use acrylics.....AKAN preferrably.... but Vallejo is great for brush painting as well...... then DONT bend them... and youll be OK..... The key is using a good primer.... acrylics are horrible for priming especially metal... floquil is great on metal too......