Painting spiral type circles on Spinners ?

S

seasonman1

HI . cam anyone help with a neat and tidy way of achieving this end result please such as on Mess.109 etc . Any help would be welcome as it just comes out a mess at atm.

Thank you in advance

Brian :sad:

T

tecdes

Hi Brian

Yes they are the very devil & unless they look OK they spoil the model.

I used some masking vinyl the smallest size is about 1mm wide. Tricky & laborious but it came out OK. The model came with a decal type black strip but found it impossible to handle with fat fingers so gave up & went to masking..

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Failing a mask or decal you can make your own mask.

Paint the spinner white and cut your mask from Tamiya tape. Spray the black-green or black and remove the mask to reveal the spiral. It is a fiddle but you can make several attempts at the spiral mask without doing any damage.

Mal Mayfield did a 'how to' on another forum and if I can find it I'll post a link later.

Not all spinner spirals were regulation,nor were they all neatly applied so if possible always check a reference.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't find it!

Here's what I do......if I absolutely have to!

Cut a thin strip of tape,using a good straight edge,the same width as the widest part of the spiral.Make sure its a bit longer than the total length you need.

Now cut this strip into two diagonally along its length.

You will have two long thin 'wedges' to use as a mask (and a spare!).

Start one from the thin end at the top and work it around the spinner towards the bottom.

You may need to trim a bit of excess.

It is a fiddle and you will have to make some adjustments but it can be done. Remember if you mess it up it's just a bit of tape,no harm done. I've NEVER got it right first time!

Cheers

Steve

Edit:

Forgot an imortant point. Becase you've cut the tape on a diagonal one edge is longer than the other and should be on the bottom,that is towards the spinner base plate.

Last edited by a moderator: