Painting with brush help

I

iOzzi

View attachment 66846

I'm building my first tank in ages and eager to begin with this fun hobby again. I bought some Tamiya acryllic paint and thinner (not Tamiyas) to paint it in a winter camo theme and I just finished with the base coating. This is where I want some advice, I tried to take a picture that shows the problem but it wasn't so successful.

As you can see on the plating there is some paint that has been collected in a small drop, and the paint also is unevenly spreaded (you can see the brushstrokes almost on all flat sides).

What should I do to counter this? I will probably buy a very fine sandpaper to sand this down but what can I do to stop this on the next layer? I don't know the ratings I should use with the paint and thinner, I think I have used too little thinner.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 67907

IMG_20130812_195408.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not an acrylic user but the general opinion of Tamiya paints is that the just don't brush very well at all. Hopefully someone who uses acrylics will be able to add more.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Ozzi. Is that your Christian just a guess ?

As Steve said Tamiya is with most a nono.

Your best bet is Valljo Model Acrylics for hand brush work. There was another article on Tamiya brush painting recently I will see if I can locate it.

Laurie

I

iOzzi

Oskar is my name. Thank you, thankfully I only bought two small cans of them. I will go out and buy me some Valljo tomorrow then!

T

tecdes

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutorials/19434-new-modelling-need-advice-3.html

Hi Oskar the above has a lot about Tamiya. Page 3.

Have a look at Acrylicos Vallejo | Acrylic colors gives a tremendous amount of info.

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First off, welcome to the forum Oskar.

I only brush paint, and the only acrylic paint I can use with any success is Vallejo Model Colour - suitably thinned.

I also use Humbrol enamels thinned with turpentine.

Ron