Pak40 finished

J

Jack10

Finished my pak40 anti tank gun. Wanted to do a camo pattern but don't own an air gun so kept it simple. Got a diorama in mind for the gun so hopefully crack on with that over the weekend/next week. Here's some pics ...IMG_2027.JPGIMG_2028.JPGIMG_2029.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2031.JPGIMG_2032.JPGIMG_2033.JPG

J

Jens Andrée

Sweet Jack!!! I think your paint job is spot on and I actually like it without the green & brown!
Who made the kit? Tamiya 35047 Pak 40/L46? If so another sweet looking 70's kit!

T

Tony

Fantastic. You have made a lovely model and its one of my favourites.

Was reading earlier that Tamiya are re issuing a whole load of their older kits (maybe aiming at the market were funds are limited) but nice to see their half track is coming back . If it cones in at around the £20 +\- it should prove popular.

Thanks for sharing your build - its really neat.

J

Jens Andrée

Can't go wrong for a £5

That's a great price!

It's £20 here and I've learned to be "careful" when buying old Tamiya kits after my Panther Aufs.A malarkey for full price, but for £5 it's a different thing really!

J

Jack10

Fantastic. You have made a lovely model and its one of my favourites.

Was reading earlier that Tamiya are re issuing a whole load of their older kits (maybe aiming at the market were funds are limited) but nice to see their half track is coming back . If it cones in at around the £20 +\- it should prove popular.

Thanks for sharing your build - its really neat.
Thanks For such an old kit it went together very nicely.

J

Jens Andrée

Jack, just thought I'd let you know that your build, and the other 70's cannon, inspired me to take a dive into the 70's...
Just ordered:
Tamiya 35017 German 88mm Gun Flak 36/37
Tamiya 35035 German 37mm Anti-Tank Gun
Tamiya 35047 German 75mm Anti Tank Gun Kit

You've proved that they can be built with a bit of care and creativity!
They were dirt cheap so I can't complain later if some parts are a bit so so, and since I'm already prepared there's always room for improvement if needed ;)

I might even get the kids involved in building one, or two, of them since they are considerably less scary than my Takom King Tiger build-wise!

Thanks for the inspiration Jack!

J

Jack10

Cheers buddy. Yeah well it is the first thing I've built and I didn't have any problems with it so I'm sure the kids will be fine with it. How old are they? And to say it's from the 70s it went together really nicely with no fit issues so hope your kits are the same :smiling:

Look forward to seeing your finished kits make sure you keep me posted on them mate. Glad you enjoyed my build

J

Jens Andrée

The kids are 12 and 14, but they are autistic so they are sensitive to failures, i.e. if they fail a task the first time there's almost no chance they'll ever accept to try again.
I've tried to get them to try scale modelling a couple of times but they both thought it was too complicated. If it's a piece with fewer parts and less detail then the chance of success is higher. Even more so if I tell them it's a cheap kit that doesn't matter if it blows up in 1000 pieces ;)

They both are very creative, but their lack of self confidence in untried things are a huge obstacle in life and I know a completed scale model would give them a boost in that area!

Myself is rather anal when it comes to sanding and construction so they both think scale modelling is super hard - which hasn't exactly helped here...

Anyhow, guns and tanks are exciting so I hope this can be exciting enough to give it a go - and succeed!

We shall know for sure soon. Otherwise I get a couple more kits to build ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The kids are 12 and 14, but they are autistic so they are sensitive to failures, i.e. if they fail a task the first time there's almost no chance they'll ever accept to try again.
I've tried to get them to try scale modelling a couple of times but they both thought it was too complicated. If it's a piece with fewer parts and less detail then the chance of success is higher. Even more so if I tell them it's a cheap kit that doesn't matter if it blows up in 1000 pieces ;)

They both are very creative, but their lack of self confidence in untried things are a huge obstacle in life and I know a completed scale model would give them a boost in that area!

Myself is rather anal when it comes to sanding and construction so they both think scale modelling is super hard - which hasn't exactly helped here...

Anyhow, guns and tanks are exciting so I hope this can be exciting enough to give it a go - and succeed!

We shall know for sure soon. Otherwise I get a couple more kits to build ;)
Jens, have you tried them with snap together kits to start with ? They should get there confidence up when completed.

J

Jens Andrée

Jens, have you tried them with snap together kits to start with ? They should get there confidence up when completed.
I contemplated that but all those kits available at my store were too childish for them so that would've failed anyway. Especially with the 14 year old one...
There are also the Meng tank toons which are really nice kits, but very simple to assemble - and they are cool, not childish, so they should work too...?

I think I've read somewhere about "proper" snap together kits too but I've never seen one... I need to dig deeper into this some day.

Thanks for the tip! :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent work, Jack....and a nice base too!

I hope you won't mind the 'Highjack', but the following might help you and Jens regarding snap together Pak 40's.

Here's my 1/72 Italeri 'Snap Together'. You get two kits in the box + an excellent set of 12 figures for the crews.

The box art....
'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 017.jpg

What's in the box.
'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 018.jpg

The finished Pak 40.
'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 154.jpg

.......with 4 members of the crew.
'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 303.jpg

It really is a super kit. Plenty of detail, no flash and snaps together in no time. Childish? No chance!.......;)

It would no doubt get crucified by the purists (who cares?) I was well impressed by the quality and more than happy with the finished kit, so that's all I needed.

It might be just the thing for your children to get their modelling teeth into, Jens?

I hope the above is of some help, and once again Jack, sorry for the highjack......

Ron

J

Jack10

Highjack away Ron that's an awesome finished piece! How the hell do you get such detail at 1/72??? Especially on the camo uniforms? Wow. Great work! Good idea for jens kids too looks like they could have some fun with that.

J

Jens Andrée

Can only agree with Jack about the 1/72 scale details?! Sweet!!! :smiling3:

Method of assembly is utterly unimportant to me. It's got nothing to do with the hobby if you ask me.
In fact sometimes I wish they'd made a bigger effort in ensuring some pieces went together exactly correct to avoid issues down the line (Takom, that's you who I'm referring to ;) ) and if snap together kits can introduce younger modellers, or perhaps those with disability?, then all the better!

If not it's a great transition from Lego to hardcore scale modelling!

Cheers Ron :smiling3: