Pakistani AFV colours & markings in 1965?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Does anyone have information, links or similar about the colours and markings of Pakistani AFVs in the 1965 war with India? I can find nothing but (usually poor quality) black and white photos, but no descriptions or similar.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Can’t help I’m afraid. Nice to see you are going for yet another mainstream project though :cool:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Can’t help I’m afraid. Nice to see you are going for yet another mainstream project though :cool:
You know me, I like to tread where everyone else has paved the way already ;)

What it is, is that I’ve got the Academy M36/M36B2 kit that I took the driver’s compartment from for my wrecked Crab (which awaits finishing, as I still can’t find a good way to make its flail chains). I intend to build the kit as an M36B2, and you’ve got plenty of options with that other than US Army in the Second World War. Pakistani seems more interesting than, say, French in Indochina (for which the kit has decals).

Another interesting one is Iraqi in the 1991 Gulf War, of all places/times, which I’ll keep in mind as an alternative if I can’t find info on Pakistani colours and markings. However, it would mean I ordered two sets of duckbills for nothing, as the Iraqis seem to have fitted standard-width Sherman tracks. Or, of course, Churchill tracks …

tumblr_inline_opa8k2s12t1ug4sui_500.png (source)

I mean, WTF?!

Thanks for the link, that’s about the first colour photo I’ve seen of a vehicle from that time — but the question is if it’s representative or just somebody’s idea of what looks good on a monument :sad:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
the question is if it’s representative or just somebody’s idea of what looks good on a monument :sad:
Yes, I know what you mean, I found a few other colour photos that were very clearly not original schemes. That one though looks old enough to be the real thing.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is that actually mobile Jakko?
I kind of doubt it, given that it would probably shed its tracks at the very first turn it makes. But why put them on at all if it can’t move on them?

Yes, I know what you mean, I found a few other colour photos that were very clearly not original schemes. That one though looks old enough to be the real thing.
That’s what I was thinking too, but other photos of Pakistani Second World War-vintage equipment seems to show mostly single-colour vehicles. I suppose I’ll have to spend a lot more effort on this …

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Might be worth contacting the Pakistani military directly?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ooh! There’s an idea I hadn’t thought of yet. As we say here, “‘No’ you have …”

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks!

Edit: Great … I tried e-mailing the person behind that site, but my ISP says “Invalid recipient domain”, meaning it claims it doesn’t exist so it can’t send the message.

Last edited: