PANEL LINE WASH

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi guys well ive bought my panel line wash in black an the guy in the model shop said just brush on in the lines an then just with a cloth rub off
is it really that simple ?. An how long does it take to dry ?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Christopher,
If you include the product name in your question, then you are more likely to get a response. Better still, take a picture of your purchase and share it with us.....we like pictures :smiling4::nerd:

I’m sure someone will offer advice for you then :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Si i'll post a pic tomorrow as today ive just bought a decent camera an me an my wallet are still in shock ( lol ) plus I have to charge the batt

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello guys well this is what the chap in my model shop gave me when I asked for panel line wash pic below hopefully as tryin out my new cameraIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0002.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Have I bought right or wrong ? as remember guys I have never done this before

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’ve not personally used the Vallejo washes but try watching the video, and have a practice on an old kit?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If I remember rightly, that's an acrylic wash, so you need to work quickly to remove any excess. That should work fine, just do small areas at a time.

With an enamel or oil wash you have a lot more time to remove it, so you can do bigger areas.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It is an acrylic wash, as bowcat says small areas and wipe off quickly.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Many thanks Si for the utube vid im goin to study this vid a few time so I get it in the old nodle as I forget things easy now
as getting on Im afraid. An thanks too bob an dave for your info cheers

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
If I remember rightly, that's an acrylic wash, so you need to work quickly to remove any excess. That should work fine, just do small areas at a time.

With an enamel or oil wash you have a lot more time to remove it, so you can do bigger areas.
Hi Bob you got me a bit worryied about this panel line wash ive bought saying ive got work quilckly to remove any excess .im a bit of a slow worker im afraid so would you mind putting on the thread here a picture of enamel wash then so I can see what to buy an I wont use the wash ive bought

cheer's if you can as it will hopefully give me more time to work it. An how long does enamel take to dry ? an will it be ok to put on top of humbrol spay paint as that's what im using at the moment

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Christopher,

There are many different manufacturers and colours of washes available (have a look at the forum sponsors site https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/).

As requested here is a picture of a wash I use quite often.

A_MIG_1005.jpg

Enamels are cleaned up with low odour thinners and you have several hours to go back and work with them, as opposed to acrylics.

Not sure about your Humbrol spray paint, is it enamel based (in which casde the lwo odour thinners you use for the wash woudl attack it)? Typically a clear coat is put down between paint and subsequebt weathering, so if you used an acrylic clear you would then be fine to use the enamels and thinners.

I hope that's all clear, but if not just ask more questions and I or one of the other members will answer.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited to add: When I said you had to be quick with acrylics, what I mean is just work in small areas. For instance, do a single panel line, go back and clean up the excess, then move on to another one. When I started out I was doing an entire panel, by the time I got to the end of the cleanup the wash had dried. That's oen of the reasons I moved to enamels and oils. :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK Bob cheers for the info an I must admit it all seems a little complacatied to me .But ive just checked on the spray paint im using an its humbrol acrylic spray an not enamel as I thought so would it be ok to use with the panel wash ive already bought an im goin to try the paints on an old model 1st to see how it all goes but I like to ask questions as sometimes it can save a great deal of greif an its nice havin a talk to you guys as my wife is into jewelrly making an into another world