Panel Lines Experiment

First Name
Gary
I found a very short You Tube video that suggested using a HB4 pencil on panel lines prior to varnishing. There are a few but I like this simple one.

I suspect you guys know all about this but it was new to me. I've tried it on my Spitfire on the Sky S underside and its very subtle. I like it personally as I prefer the almost new look at the moment. When I've got further along I'll post pictures on the build in the under construction.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
That looks very interesting. The results are very good. Certainly worth an experiment.
Jim

First Name
Gary
If you use a soft pencil 4B or more with a very pointed tip, which you'll need to keep pointed, you can be very precise. Pencil tip follows the lines mostly but a steady hand is required. I did mine with an artists propelling pencil, my daughters, which was a bit harder so you can be as subtle or as bold as you want. I had to be careful not to scratch the paint although that turns into a bit of unintended chipping. I didn't apply another thin coat on top and it looks great in normal light. Doesn't photo well but as I say it's subtle but defined. And less rubbing but it depends on what effect you want of course but for the delicate , just defined look it seems to work well.

I love the way everyone is not afraid to innovate, to try something new like this. Plenty of those types on this forum of course

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You may know this Gary, but just in case.....HB pencil can give a great metallic impression to things like gun barrels as well......just undercoat with Matt black then gently shade over the top, then polish with your finger.....

First Name
Gary
My daughter does a similar thing in her drawings. Graphite does polish up as you say. Never thought about that in modelling. Something else fun to try. Thanks Tim

Sorry, yes Jakko 4B is used in the video I used a HB propelling pencil which is very narrow with a flat tip so a bit harder. The edge of the flat tip graphite followed the lines. It really is a nice restrained effect on a fresh out of the factory plane IMO.

I'll post pictures taken in daylight but it really does look nice