Panthermania - Shelf of doom rescue attempt(s)

D

Durk

Finishing models is not really my strongest point:disappointed:. Over the years I have populated a huge shelf of doom with models in various degrees of completeness. Now that I have some free time for modelling again I thought it would be a good idea to attempt completing some, starting with a couple of Panthers. We'll see how far we get this time:sick:.

Starting of with a Dragon Panther G with zimmerit, started it's life as a Normandie group build subject in 2012, but utterly failed to complete it mainly because of the zimmeritted mantled that Dragon suppiles is rather badly shapen, with the centre caved in. As I'm not the biggest fan of doing my own zimmerit, the project probably got shelved for that reason. Anyhoe, I replaced the mantlet with a spare one and found the time to get it covered in my own MagicSculpt zimmerit and got the build completed last week. Model is mainly built OOB, with minor details added where I thought it was fun. I even added a bucket to the tank (RB Models highly recommended!). A first for me in 40 years if 1/35th armor modelling:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:.

20190108_093724.jpg

20190108_093624.jpg
20190108_093821.jpg
20190108_093753.jpg

D

Durk

Here's another one, started in 2007 when on assignment in Singapore and almost completed in 2009. It ended up on the shelf of doom cause my youngest son, 3 at the time had taken it upon him to help me painting. Still don't know how he managed to open the bottle of fresh Tamiya XF-10 brown paint, but he had a field day with a hairy stick. I mostly got the brown paint of after returning home, but it sort of killed the mojo and I remeber I was angry, I can now only laugh about it:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:. Anyway I added the tow cable that I had prepared ten years ago this week and it's ready for painting (finally:fearful:), still have to decide on a late hard edge scheme though.......

Remanants of brown paint:tears-of-joy::
20190108_093903.jpg
20190108_093934.jpg
If only I had another bucket.....
20190108_094014.jpg
20190108_093957.jpg

Cheers
DIRK

Reactions: PJR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Dirk,
I have the same Dragon Panther in my stash, I keep getting it out and looking at it and finally over the weekend I decided that 'zimmerit' had to go. So out came the mini drill with a sander on it, melted the plastic while working out the best speed on the 'zimmerit' coated mantlet. Had convinced myself that there was also a mantlet minus 'zimmerit' with the kit as there are other panels without it. So now the Panther is back in the stash waiting for a new resin mantlet to arrive....
Oh! the joys of having children, that is how I came to be hooked. I do not know if it was the amount of tube glue fumes I used on my dad's Airfix DH 86 Comet after 'flying' it around the room and breaking off the wing/canopy and then being made to re-assemble it, but there was no glue left, the wing satayed on and the canopy just melted into the fuselage....
Looking forward to seeing these two completed.
Cheers, Mike.

D

Durk

Thanks Mike, guess we all have great stories like these about models, how did the old man react?

Spent some time this afternoon getting the first layer of paint onto the first Panther. Used my "new" H&S Evolution airbrush that I bought in 2016:flushed: for the first time and the "new" Tamiya Dark Yellow XF-88. Positive about both novelties, the XF-88 is less greenish than XF-60 and less grainy, could still have been a tad lighter and more "buffish" to my taste, but it's good for a first coat straight out of the jar. Used the 0.4 needle on the Evolution and must say that went very well from the start, maybe I'm finally getting there...... maybe:surprised:Picture is not the best sorry, was a quick shot with the phone on completion of spraying this afternoon:

20190108_141909.jpg

DIRK

D

Durk

Applied some pre-shade over the first base coat this morning, simple mix of black and brown:

20190109_101022.jpg

20190109_101054.jpg

Followed by a light overspray of the base coat:
20190109_112315.jpg

20190109_112347.jpg

20190109_112450.jpg

Made a start with painting the rubber of the road wheels as well, a bigger pain actually than cleaning them up:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::
20190109_152018.jpg

Cheers
DIRK

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dirk,
Good to see these on the go again. I must compliment you on the pre shading very neatly done.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks Mike, guess we all have great stories like these about models, how did the old man react?

Spent some time this afternoon getting the first layer of paint onto the first Panther. Used my "new" H&S Evolution airbrush that I bought in 2016:flushed: for the first time and the "new" Tamiya Dark Yellow XF-88. Positive about both novelties, the XF-88 is less greenish than XF-60 and less grainy, could still have been a tad lighter and more "buffish" to my taste, but it's good for a first coat straight out of the jar. Used the 0.4 needle on the Evolution and must say that went very well from the start, maybe I'm finally getting there...... maybe:surprised:Picture is not the best sorry, was a quick shot with the phone on completion of spraying this afternoon:

View attachment 325413

DIRK
I was deaf for a week...:disappointed:, Mike.

Reactions: JR
D

Durk

Cheers Scottie and Mike.

Further progress on the painting. Looking for a mottled camouflage effect on the Panther. Used Tamiya XF-58 thinned to 40-60 using the Evolution AB with 0.2 nozzle, went on well actually. Colours are more yellow and richer than in these quick phone shots:
20190110_120612.jpg
20190110_120639.jpg
20190110_120736.jpg

DIRK

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dirk
That looks very good. I agree with Scottie regarding the pre-shade. I think we all have that unfinished model that sits on the shelf and makes us feel bad :thinking:
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This one is looking real good Dirk. Will it be a two or three color scheme for the cammo? On the late G have you considered a Disc scheme? I have been interested in this for some time and am always looking to others for their ideas and techniques regarding this pattern.
Cheers, Rick H.

D

Durk

Thank Jim, I have a couple too many of these, maybe couple is not the right word here:smiling::smiling::smiling:.

Thanks Rick, was planning ondoing a hard edge factory scheme, haven't decided yet which one but have one of these Panther books with colour profiles in them. Still need to study that and figure out a way of how to do it, but that is for later. Now concentrating on the earlier G one, which will be three tone. Applied the red brown this morning:

20190111_102059.jpg
20190111_102132.jpg
20190111_102154.jpg
20190111_102207.jpg

DIRK

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks good Dirk, I'm sure that whatever you land on for the late G will be fine. This one is looking the cat's whiskers. Cheers, Rick H.

Reactions: PJR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Dirk
That looks very good. I agree with Scottie regarding the pre-shade. I think we all have that unfinished model that sits on the shelf and makes us feel bad :thinking:
Jim
Jim,
Model? more like more models on the shelf unbuilt than built in my case...:rolling:.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dirk,
Looking a lot better and I bet you feel more mojo'd now you have paint on...
Mike.

D

Durk

Cheers Mike, still quite a bit to finish it with all the weathering I have in mind:flushed:, been painting wheels further this afternoon, the part of the inner road wheels that ended up bare steel after a bit of driving round the Panthers. how much of it will still be visible after sticking mud and dust on remains to be seen:rolling::

20190111_162321.jpg

DIRK

D

Durk

The day started rather bad with me being unable to find my Microsscala Set and Sol, not a clue where I have hidden it after last using it, getting really old now...... A quick drive up to the LHS and some spare cash sorted the problem.

Spent the rest of the day getting the turret number decals to conform to the ratjer shallow Dragon zimmerit, thought it would be easier, nearly ran out of decal juice again in the process. Not entirely perfect, but I'll leave it at this:

20190112_163954.jpg

20190112_164023.jpg

Small touch up needed on the top of the second 2, which I damages trying it to conform to the zim:
20190112_164103.jpg

Note that the colours of these close ups match the original better than the ones in earlier posts.

DIRK

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
nearly ran out of decal juice again in the process.
Do you drink it or something? :smiling3: I’ve lost more Micro Set/Sol through evaporation (10+-year old caps become brittle and break) than I ever put onto a model.

Note that the colours of these close ups match the original better than the ones in earlier posts.
Hard to tell from another screen than the one you’re looking at :smiling3:

But the model looks good regardless of what colours it has exactly.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Looks good to me Dirk, the decals sit well & the paint is subtle, nice colours.:thumb2:

D

Durk

Do you drink it or something? :smiling3: I’ve lost more Micro Set/Sol through evaporation (10+-year old caps become brittle and break) than I ever put onto a model.

Cheers Jakko, just applied it many times yesterday afternoon, but it looks like you can't get it softer than soft no matter how long it's soaked in soft:rolling:.

Hard to tell from another screen than the one you’re looking at :smiling3:

That's indeed another way of looking at it:smiling2:!

Thanks Graeme!

Little bit further, detail painting the spare tracks. Used MigAmmo "Old rust" which paints OK straight from the bottle, but doesn't respond to Tamiya flat base XF-21 as well as Vallejo paints do:

20190113_162553.jpg

D

Durk

Opinions wanted - spend a lot of time this afternoon on just the one roadwheel trying to recreate a caked on dried mud effect using Mig Ammo heavy mud products. Can't get the effect that I'm looking for, but would like to hear what you guys think of this. Is it realistic mud or is it just a 1:1 guy caking on some weathering product of which there are millions of nowadays, with a cheap brush?

20190114_172555.jpg

Cheers
DIRK