Panthermania - Shelf of doom rescue attempt(s)

PJR

First Name
Paul
Sir I think it looks great... thoroughly enjoying Panthermania

D

Durk

Thanks Paul, have put the work on the wheels on hold for the moment until I figure out hpw to get them to look better. Meanwhule have worked on other paintwork, gave the upper hull and turret the obligatory filter (where would we be without this:rolling:) using well diluted W&N Burnt Sienna, not too sure if I can see a big difference. Made a start with lining in the engine deck with a slightly thicker darker wash of a burnt umber like colour:

20190115_175743.jpg
20190115_175826.jpg

DIRK

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have been watching from afar but now have the time to post and say what a fantastic job you are making of your shelf queens. I look forward to seeing how this little project progress's. Good luck

D

Durk

Thanks Steve, much appreciated. Unfortunately not much progress for the next couple of weeks as I am away to work:crying:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As Steve has now moved I can see better :smiling:

Dirk, would a couple of washes , including a darker pinwash bring out some depth. The amount on the wheel looks ok.
Love the camo, just shows that AB can perform extremely well with that needle size., what pressure by the way please .
John .

D

Durk

Thanks John! I was thinking about that and build it up with light coloured washes first and gradually go darker. Will try pigments as well and see how that adds to it.

I had the pressure at 1 bar or 14 Psi. Usually spray at a slightly lower pressure, 0.8 Bar.

DIRK

Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dirk,
All looking good, as for the dried mud effect try a thin earth wash which sould fill in the shadows of the mud already on and still leave you with a combination of dry and drying mud. But try it on a bit of scrap first.
Cheers, Mike.

D

Durk

Thanks Mike, will try that and also see what I can do with pigments to get a broader spectrum of earth tones.

DIRK

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks Mike, will try that and also see what I can do with pigments to get a broader spectrum of earth tones.

DIRK
Mix them all together, not the full pots just samples of each and then add or subtract the tones.
Cheers, Mike.

D

Durk

Continued with the Panther this week. Applied the wash to the turret as well and to all the zimmerited surfaces to bring out the ridges a bit more:

Been working on the wheels as well, but too far away from a good result to show any pictures. More head scratching to do......

DIRK

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another wonderful update Dirk. I am taking frantic notes as I will be having a go at one of these at the end of the year. Looking forward to seeing the next progress report.

D

Durk

Thanks Steve and Scottie!

Continueing with weathering of the engine deck, chipping applied with Vallejo 822 German camo black brown. Always difficult to find the right ballance and not to overdo it.....

DIRK

D

Durk

Bit more work done on the engine deck. Created some tonal differences with dots of oil paint, which are then mostly removed with a thinner moistened brush and added some oil/grease stains around the engine hatch. Still more to do......

DIRK

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dirk,
Looking very nice and subtle your right it is easy to over do it.