Panzer Grenadiers.....Carthage

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
The two elephants look superb. What paints have you used?
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
All looking very good John.

Reminds me that for a few years I used to stand under this waiting to catch my bus home from work:

View attachment 323251

(Elephant and Castle shopping centre).

The real thing would probably have been a better mode of transport than the 176 from Oxford Circus.
I used to park there every month on my way to meetings in Waterloo Road. I wish I'd realised how close it is to IWM!

Pete

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Rick

Tim I have a confession. The cloths are decals with a little paint added over the top. They are weird decals they come with a plastic film on one side and a paper backing on the other. You cut them to size then carefully remove the plastic film and press the decal on to the surface with the paper backing on the outside still attached. You then wet thee paper backing to remove it. They do give a great effect though.

Scottie the sand was sculpted using Magic Sculpt.

Thanks Peter still working my way up to attempting the figures.

Jim it's all acrylic so far with some AK true metal. I tend to use some artists acrylic and some cheap decorators paint in the plastic pots. It all goes together in the mix.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank God for that John, I thought you had perfected something I would find impossible....the decals sound a bit like water versions of the old methfix decals I used to use in my railway days....still superb though....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking better and better....assuming more decals? If so, you are really showing them off. This is worthy of Victrix using it as promo material...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress John and the Boys don't seem too distressed over the extra weight they now are wearing. Well executed!
Cheers, Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely work John, the decals remind me of fake tattoos from chewing gum wrappers applied in the same way. Used to run around the house bedecked in tattoos when little.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Dave S4

Lovely. A really nice project rendered very well indeed so far.

D

Deleted member 6559

Very fine work John. I think the decals look pretty amazing, especially given the scale and the complexity of the designs. Lovely bright red too.

First Name
Michael
Reading this thread made me wonder about where Hannibal got his elephants from. African elephants are supposed to be untrainable and Carthage was a fairly long way from India. So what did he use?

Apparently it was the African Forest Elephant (now extinct), smaller than an Indian elephant which answers my question re the scale of the driver to elephant, I thought he was a bit big or the elephant too small. Forest elephants were apparently as easy as Indian elephants to train too.

Amazing the things you learn through these threads.

Brilliant work, btw!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you gentlemen.

I claim the first model finished in 2019 !

Here are my panzer grenadiers ready to go.

finish 5.jpg

John

Attachments

• Finish 1.jpg
    Finish 1.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 1

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Terrific result John, good to see the boys finished and on a proper base.
Happy NewYear, Rick H.