Panzer III, Tamiya, 1/35

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
and finished!...........

nearly 50 year old kit that i picked up for nothing in a deal.............thought id use to try out a few things so i wouldnt feel too bad if it all went wrong, but im quite happy in the end

ive tried a couple of new (to me at least) washes, had a go at a figure cos they are still black art to me and ive had this idea for a tarpauline for ages and wanted to see if it would work

144.jpg

240.jpg

342.jpg

437.jpg

535.jpg

626.jpg

and one for scale

721.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,
That is a cracking result and the tarp looks good, what did you use?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Well for a "cost nowt" ancient kit I reckon that is a great achievement.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lovely jubbly!!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thanks, was fun to try a few new things, still need practice at figures, never have been any good at them lol

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Can always remember some advice from years ago with faces - far better not to try 'detailing' eyes etc. than to get it wrong - that's why I don't try! ;) :smiling2::upside:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Can always remember some advice from years ago with faces - far better not to try 'detailing' eyes etc. than to get it wrong - that's why I don't try! ;) :smiling2::upside:

i read pretty much the same somewhere...........just picked up a 'flesh' wash from vallejo so going to give that a try

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Flesh was is effective. Just paint in base flesh, the add highlights in pale flesh, then use flesh wash undiluted. The figures will come to life before your eyes.
Talking of eyes, the biggest issue at the smaller scales is trying to get too much detail in. an effective way is to paint the flesh as described above, then paint in the eyes. Don’t try to do all the pupil colours etc though, you will just end up with coco the clown! There is nothing to be scared of though, just work methodically with a good sharp brush and properly thinned paint and it will soon become second nature.
To do eyes at 1/35 and below, paint in the white ( using ivory or light flesh, not bright white). Add a vertical black line for the pupil (much easier than trying for round pupils) and cut the eye back to size with a black paint outline. Once you have done this to your satisfaction, simply cut back the black outline using a paint colour similar to the flesh wash so the eye blends into the head. If anything goes wrong, just paint out the offending eye with base flesh and start again.
I always do faces and eyes first because they bring the figure to life and push me on to finish the figure.