Panzer IV and Ruined building photos.

N

noble

Hi all here is one new project and one older one, the first is Tamiyas 1:35 scale Panzer IV of the 24th panzer regiment northern Italy 1943, this was built from the box the zimmerit was added extras as well as resign tracks. Tamiya acrylics oils and pastels were used on this so i hope you like it and all comments welcome.

The second is an offering from Miniart this is a ukranian company that do buildings and diorama settings and many more. The building is 1:35 scale and was built straight from the box using oils pastel acrylics and enamals, i hope you enjoy it and again all comments welcome

scott

View attachment 21566

View attachment 21568

View attachment 21569

View attachment 21570

View attachment 21571

View attachment 21572

View attachment 21573

View attachment 21574

View attachment 21575

Panzer IV 2.jpg

Ruined building 3.jpg

Panzer IV 4.jpg

Panzer IV 5.jpg

Ruined building 2.jpg

Ruined building 4.jpg

Panzer IV 3.jpg

Panzer IV 1.jpg

Ruined building 1.jpg

D

dubster72

That's a very nice P-4 scott, how did you do the zimm? It looks very realistic, just how I imagine it was done in the factory, kinda 'slopped' on!

And your house looks excellent, I really ought to put mine together!

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice Scott, what's Miniart buildings like to make and is this vac formed? Panzer looks good too, you've done a good job on the Zimmerit.

Can't wait to see the dio mate, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi scott , fantastic looking crinkle cut tank ! Seriously mate this is a great job,brilliant zimm effect and the weathering on your building is just outstanding ,loving the dirty water marks on the rendered wall. looking forward to seeing the dio. cheers tony

P

Paul1978

Alright Scott

Can't fault your work mate. I love the tank with the weathering spot on. How long did it take to do the Zimm? I know that Tamiya has their own little tool for this; either that or a screwdriver. whatever you used it looks great.

I didn't know Miniart was Ukrainian??? Your job on that house is perfect - the right contrast of colours and it shows your professionalism as a modeller for getting it right ie not going overboard. I've got a miniart house too, well, i've had it for 9 months - they take up some space i guess :smiling3: ))

Great job mate!!

Paul

N

noble

Thanks a lot for the comments guys, the miniart building is vac formed and can be kind of tricky and can sometimes need a little filling if you cut them out wrong but the detail on them is fantastic, as for the zimmeritt i kinda cheated there i already had a tamiya specific zimmeritt kit that i bought from either modelsforsale or creative models so it really just needed to be glued into place.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Only just catching up on the threads.

Very nice work Scott and I look forward to seeing the 2 elements incorporated into a diorama ( Unfortunately no Palm trees this time mate)

Patrick, people will have different takes on this, but I put the zimmerit on thus-

Using Humbrol model filler and a small piece of plastic or one of those wooden sticks used for swilling McDonald's coffee around put a thin layer on the model about the size of your thumb nail ( no more or it will set before you have done the prodding) then with a 1-2mm precision screw driver blade dipped in water to prevent sticking, push into the filler in vertical lines. Leave a slight gap and repeat the process. This gives you the vertical lines. It is time consuming, but good fun and you don't have to be too fussy!

Sorry for going off your models thread a bit Scott...

Ron

N

noble

cheers ron and i will have to get me another bucket for the next dio.

scott

P

Paul1978

Just read something interesting that Zimmerit was discontinued in late 1944 and the British actually tried it out on a Churchill :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Yeah they stopped with Zimm after fears of it catching fire-it was made mainly of sawdust so maybe they had a point! A slightly interesting fact is that many people think that the Schurzen & Thoma shields were to defend against hollow-charge weapons like PIAT's & Bazooka's but they were actually added to stop Russian anti-tank rifle shots.

I wouldn't have the patience for applying it like that Ron, I'd go down Scott's route or buy a Dragon kit with the Zimm moulded-on. But I have to say that for an after-market add-on, it's very good & doesn't look too 'regular', instead having that rough look. Must buy a P4 soon.....

Patrick

F

Fenlander

It has all been said, I must stop building models and keep up with the forum lol. Seriously though, the painting of both these is spot on. I have never really understood Zimmerit, I always thought it was like cement to stop magnetic charges! Once again, has been an educational thread. Have to say though that the building stands out, it looks very realistic. Great work.

F

Flying Scottiedog

FanTasTic Work i can only agree with every other post, what else can i say...:cool2:

N

noble

Hi scottiedog if you like this check out the After Gazala diorama on this page and tell me what you think.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
It has all been said, I must stop building models and keep up with the forum lol. Seriously though, the painting of both these is spot on. I have never really understood Zimmerit, I always thought it was like cement to stop magnetic charges! Once again, has been an educational thread. Have to say though that the building stands out, it looks very realistic. Great work.
Graham, just to confirm what I already knew, I have checked on 'tinternet and you are right . The coating was also used to stop the perceived threat from the adhesion of anti tank mines. It was made up thus-

40% Barium Sulphate

25% PVA

15% Ochre Pigment

10% Zinc Sulphide

only 10% was saw dust.

It was not anti magnetic, just non magnetic.

In Sept.1944 the stuff was banned from use due to fear of fire, but in tests this was unproven but it was never used again.

Depending on the vehicle there were over 12 different patterns used.

Patrick was refering to the Schurzen shields fixed to the sides of armour when he mentioned anti tank rifle rounds, not so much zimmerit...............I think!!

Sorry for stretching your thread Scott!

Ron

D

Dograt

At last I know what Zimmermit is ! I didnt want to ask :smiling:

Super work

C

Cov1

Nice work Scott, like the finish with the right amount of weathering.

B

backonthecase

Scott this looks great! And yeah the Shurtzen were to pre-detonate shaped AT charges from Bazookas and AT rifles!

Can I ask for a favour - what's the procedure you used for painting the building? a summarised SBS would be really appreciated, as I have a plaster building that I have no clue how to begin!!! lol

Thanks in advance

N

noble

Hi Stuart right the procedure i use depends on the building, first i will coat the building in brown paint this will colour the morter between the stones or bricks allow the bron to dry now if you are painting ordinairy brick i will use oil paint mix up amix off red and orange and dry brush the bricks and allow to dry. If it is stone then paint the stones with a medium grey and highlight with a light grey. For plaster i will paint it with light grey then run a black wash over the whole building, if you check out the miniart site they actually have a detailed walk through on how to paint buildings. If you need anymore help just pm me.

scott

B

backonthecase

Thanks Scott.. great tips there. The Miniart site guide is VERRRRRRRRRY detailed.. lol some of the translations make me laugh though hahaha! very good work. I'll maybe pluck up the courage someday...!!!

Thanks