Panzer IV Jerry Can Rack...?

X

Xarathustra

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/8/8/7/128887-57-instructions.pdf

The Tamiya instructions appear vague to some degree regarding which version of the Panzer IV D had a jerry can rack fitted. As I initially understood it, the later versions (including the African version) had this rack fitted. As I'm planning on doing the Balkan/late scheme I'd assumed it would have the rack fitted. But the instructions seem to contradict themselves on stage #7 when looking at the build 'explosion' & the photo on the left with reference to the rack being in place...or not! I've tried Googling photos but to little avail...

Arrrgh...can anyone help?

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Hey George l'm not an expert on German Panzer.. but i think that you are looking for Ausf. H late version... I looked a lit bit on the net and found a very clear picture... BUUT... remember that most of the tank crews improvised... they did not go gipsy wagon as the Americans but conversions were madepanzerivausfh.jpg

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi George,
A jerrycan rack would not be out of place on any Panzer IV whatever the Aus mark as they were often made in the field.
regards Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've seen photos of racks attached to the rear plate and have seen jerry cans in the spare bogie rack as well. PaulE

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi George,
The best advice I can give is that unless you are building a specific vehicle of a specific unit go with what you feel is right at the end of the day it's your model and as long as you enjoy yourself nothing else matters.
regards Jim

X

Xarathustra

Hi George,
The best advice I can give is that unless you are building a specific vehicle of a specific unit go with what you feel is right at the end of the day it's your model and as long as you enjoy yourself nothing else matters.
regards Jim

Agreed...but I'm trying to avoid any glaringly obvious mistakes in as much as I can.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The Afrika Korps Panzer Ausf D which Tamiya are basing a jerry can rack option on their kit was for a handful of Ausf D's that went over to Rommel. Sadly I have lost all the research material that I did on the company but here are some photos of the racks when they landed in Tunisia.

726530.jpg21PD PR.5 PzKpfwIV 814.jpg21PD PR.5 PzKpfwIV 824 back.jpg

As you can see they are still in their Panzer Gray colours. This is because supplies of Panzers going to North Afrika were often redirected to the Eastern Front and other theatres of war. I have it in the back of my memory that this was a few of the intended Ausf D's and that the rest went to Russia or the Balkans.

What Jim says is right. You can justify putting a jerry can pretty much anywhere on a Panzer. Some were kept on the turret in front of the cupola. This guy has some in a picnic basket!!
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-213-0267-13,_Russland-Nord,_Panzer_38(t)_und_Infanterie.jpg

Many crews would add battlefield makeshift jerry can holders all over the vehicle. So your Ausf D version of a jerry can rack at the back would not be out of place at all in the Balkans. Look forward to seeing it when it is done

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The only thing I would add is, just be careful that where you place any racks they wouldn't let them interfere with the turret rotation or getting out in a hurry.

X

Xarathustra

Many thanks Steve, that's really kind & helpful of you. My rack is basically the same as the one in the photo of #824.
I did buy some extra jerry cans & barrels (Tamiya Military Minatures) which I may use in addition to the three supplied with the model. I've also got some Value Gear tarps on the way this week which I might pop on the back...however I will bear in mind the turret rotation. They'll be on the engine covers, so wouldn't stop a quick escape. But thanks for mentioning this as it's not something I'd immediately thought about!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I did buy some extra jerry cans & barrels (Tamiya Military Minatures) which I may use in addition to the three supplied with the model.
The old set or the new one? :smiling3: Old Tamiya jerrycans (set No. 35026) were rather simplified, with only two instead of three handles, a round blob for a spout, etc. The newer ones (set 35186) are much better.

I've also got some Value Gear tarps on the way this week which I might pop on the back...however I will bear in mind the turret rotation. They'll be on the engine covers, so wouldn't stop a quick escape.
Don’t cover the gratings on there — that would cause trouble even more quickly, what with the engine overheating and/or not getting enough air :smiling3:

X

Xarathustra

The old set or the new one? :smiling3: Old Tamiya jerrycans (set No. 35026) were rather simplified, with only two instead of three handles, a round blob for a spout, etc. The newer ones (set 35186) are much better.

Don’t cover the gratings on there — that would cause trouble even more quickly, what with the engine overheating and/or not getting enough air :smiling3:

[edit] They're probably are the old set taking a wild stab in the dark at for four quid :smiling:

The Balkan version I'm doing doesn't have engine cooling grills, it's only the African one that does...according to Tamiya, anyway. I should be ok to load her up then :smirk:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hang on, you’re right, the D didn’t have grilles on the engine deck yet. Those only came in with the Ausf. F, I think. So yeah, as long as you make sure the turret can still rotate to the sides, you can load stuff onto the engine deck.