Panzer Kampfwagen II Ausf. G

First Name
Jason
Hello All

Being new to modelling military subjects and not wanting to ruin my Command Car build I picked this up from my LHS to test some techniques on, my thought being, if it gets ruined I can use it as a practise piece.

Very few parts in the kit which I think is probably quite an old model. It was obviously a motorized kit at some point in history. It took about 2 hours yesterday to clean up and put together and I started painting this morning and here's where I am at the moment.

View attachment 84916

View attachment 84917

View attachment 84918

View attachment 84919

View attachment 84920

So far I've primed it with desert yellow aerosol primer then over coated with Tamiya dark yellow 60/40 with Tamiya thinner shot from my airbrush with a .75 needle. I then thinned the dark yellow a little more and added a couple of drops of red brown and swapped to a .30 needle. Then I used this mix to darken all of the vertical surfaces and outline out all of the hatch edges and angle changes. Sticking with the .30 needle I added some neutral grey to the mix and freehanded the camo.

To my eye it looks OK so far (Don't shoot me if the colours aren't entirely accurate for the DAK I don't have a huge pallet of these colours yet so I'm working with what I have;)), not sure if it needs a bit more shading work though?

It's at this point that I'm not sure which way to go:confused:! I was thinking now is the time to coat it with Klear then I can add the decals and a wash with some burnt sienna oil and all of the chipping/weathering stuff happens after that?? Sound right to you guys?

Anyway thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0263.JPG

DSC_0258.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0262.JPG

D

dubster72

It's fine now Jason & ready for the gloss coat and decals. It's worth bearing in mind that most Afrika Corps armour had the desert yellow sprayed directly over the original panzer grey, so that would show through quite strongly from the sandblasting they took.

I made one of these a couple of years ago, although I did mine as one in the French campaign circa 1940

This is how mine turned out, it might help :

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/tamiya-1-35-panzer-ii-colour-modulation-technique.15652/

Cheers

Patrick

P

Polux

Looks very nice! I like the camouflage paint and the modulation effect.

Everybody works different Jason.

Personaly I like to work without varnish...so I only paint the gloss one where the decals should be.

Then is time for chipping effect, you don't have the under coat, so you can do it with brush or sponge.

Then the filter (the sand colour scheme are ideal for this :smiling3: ) and then the washes. The last one a dry brush!

I remember the Patrick Panzer II and I can say is a fantastic reference in all the senses!

Remember, try new things and enjoy ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
id give a coat of kleer otherwise the wash will not flow, then a coat of matt varnish to seal when its dry

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the advice chaps. Patrick your build is beautiful mate, wish I'd read your tutorial before I started. Never mind, there's always the next one...

Jason

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That looks great I have this kit so I'm going to keep an eye on this :smiling3:

First Name
Jason
Thanks Alan, got it finished. You can find it here.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/panzer-kampfwagen-ii-ausf-g-completed.27778/

Jason