Panzer tank.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Evening!

I've perused the site for quite a while this evening and I'm getting confused (not difficult)

So, I'm really enjoying my tanks (1/35) at present and I've wanted to build a Panzer for some time but held back.

I'd like a really good kit to give the beast credit but as I'm sure you're all aware there's bloody hundreds!!

So, any pointers on kits that are a really good example? I don't mind interiors and so on I'd just like a really nice kit to get my teeth into.

As usual, thank you in advance.

Del

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Del

Only just doing my first 1/35 tank myself and as you say there are a lot around.

From what I've seen Tamiya are a good starting point and it's my experience too, as I'm doing one of their very old kits at the moment and had no issues. I've rarely, if ever, heard any complaints about the fit of them.

It might be worth have a look at Scalemateshttps://www.scalemates.com/ at some you've seen and liked the look of. Most of the entries have at least one review of the kit in question and often three or four.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've only ever built one tank (STuG) and i can echo Andrew's advice regarding Tamiya. They are a great starting point and cheap enough so you don't 'ruin' an expensive kit.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As has been said, Tamiya will be easy to build, so if you’re not looking for 100% accuracy it’s probably your best choice, brand-wise. However, if you’re after a highly detailed model then something like Takom, Meng, Dragon or AFV Club will be better options — at the expense of having a kit that requires more work to put together.

Since you’ve already been building tanks, maybe a good idea would be to look at the brands you’ve already got experience with and seeing if they have a German tank that you like the look of. Alternatively, you could also deliberately buy another brand, to see what that’s like?

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Thanks chaps... I'm quietly confident with tanks and other armoured vehicles to the point I wanted the confidence to finally build the Panzer!

Now at that stage I'd like to grab it by the horns!

Once again, many thanks... I'll let you know what I go with!

Del

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If you are going for a Panzer then bear in mind a Panzer I is a lot smaller than a Panther or a Tiger. So if you prefer larger models to work on then do for the late Panzers. If you are after interiors and a well designed kit with lots of bells and whistles then you cant go far wrong with a RFM kit. Highly recommended. Good luck with your choice and happy modelling

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks again!

Had a good look today and I've opted for the MENG SD.KFZ.171 PANTHER AUSF. A

Lots of very good reviews so she'll do!

Del
Had a quick look and the reviews are unfailingly very good. Hope the build goes well!

ATB.

Andrew

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Next query.

I'm not too keen on the track set up, any pointers to a good aftermarket set up guys?

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Didn't have to go too far to find what I was looking for....(the tank is a gift so treating myself!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211-090000.png
    Screenshot_20210211-090000.png
    200 KB · Views: 14