papa 695s 1/35 MiniArt FL 282 V6 Kolibri

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Does anyone know why helicopter type things tend to be 1:35 scale ?
I have wondered this myself. I think must be because they are associated with the army, and therefore tanks and soldier figures.
Also the Horsa glider by Bronco is 1/35, as are all the paras, but what if you wanted a Dakota to tow it? It would have to be 1/32 scale. I quite like the idea of a model of bunch of paras jumping out of a Dakota, but I'd need to convert 1/32 scale figures.
But can you get an army cooperation plane like a Piper Cub or Fiesler Storch in 1/35?
not that I know of. it's just weird!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have wondered this myself. I think must be because they are associated with the army, and therefore tanks and soldier figures.
Also the Horsa glider by Bronco is 1/35, as are all the paras, but what if you wanted a Dakota to tow it? It would have to be 1/32 scale. I quite like the idea of a model of bunch of paras jumping out of a Dakota, but I'd need to convert 1/32 scale figures.
But can you get an army cooperation plane like a Piper Cub or Fiesler Storch in 1/35?
not that I know of. it's just weird!

Tristar used to do a very nice Storch in 1/35 (I'm sure I've seen it re-boxed by someone else too) and Bronco do a Piper Cub in 1/35.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Does anyone know why helicopter type things tend to be 1:35 scale ?
My guess is that it’s twofold. The main one is that these 1:35 scale helicopter kits, when they started coming out in the early/mid 90s,¹ were aimed at AFV modellers rather than aircraft modellers. Military helicopters are, after all, much more an asset for ground forces than for air forces (even if they’re actually operated by the air force in many countries), and if you’ve got a showcase full of 1:35 scale tanks and trucks, a 1:32 scale helicopter will be out of place just a little.

Another reason is probably so the helicopter fits with commonly available military figures and accessories: if you’re building a UH-1 in Vietnam livery, chances are you’ll want a bunch of troops in the back, and those are hard to come by in 1:32 but easy in 1:35. Yes, the difference is obvious if you try to mix them: in the back of a Revell 1:32 scale UH-1, a group of 1:35 scale troops is likely to look a bit on the small side.

¹ Heller already made 1:35 scale helicopters in the 1970s, mainly Super Frelons, but the scale only really became relatively popular when Dragon released some kits in the 90s.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great progress so far Ian and I see that you haven't broken any of the frail parts either. How do you find the Miniart plastic to work with?

As a passenger, I wouldn't be jumping out of my seat at any time soon, that's for sure…………...

Bleib Gesund
Allen

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great progress so far Ian and I see that you haven't broken any of the frail parts either. How do you find the Miniart plastic to work with?

As a passenger, I wouldn't be jumping out of my seat at any time soon, that's for sure…………...

Bleib Gesund
Allen

I'm guessing it's not fitted with ejector seats!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Bleib Gesund
Allen
I think it’s through luck more than anything, I don’t mind the plastic it’s a softer type but you can cut and sand it without any problem you just need to be very careful with the tubing, but that would go with any plastic really.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got the undercarriage fitted, and as you can see even with the weight I’ve added it’s still a tail sitter. It’s no good I’m going to have to put it on a base. So I’ll have a look for some good figures to go with it.
CB3EBA4F-9A71-47BE-B789-79B891188D29.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Glad youre feeling a bit better Ian , great start on the base , the figures will fit in perfectly , cheers tony