Papa 695s Airfix 1/72 Mustang Lollipoop.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Here’s to hoping you won’t see a ridge along where the silver came off, though.

R

Robo

That's what I like to see a real modellers workbench laid out to build models not set up as a showpiece layout. Like your model progress by the way.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That should eliminate the problem, yep :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ian enjoyin your mustang build so far an I know this a bit of a stupid question but why do you guys spray the model black ? as your answer hopefully will help me on my future builds of my kits . Please remember im fairly new to plastic kits

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
HI Ian enjoyin your mustang build so far an I know this a bit of a stupid question but why do you guys spray the model black ? as your answer hopefully will help me on my future builds of my kits . Please remember im fairly new to plastic kits
Hi Chris when using Silver or any of the metallic colours it shows up better on a gloss black base.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
why do you guys spray the model black ?
In this particular case I can see the point of black primer: under metallic paints, it can give the colour more depth.

Priming with black on general principles is, as far as I know, mostly a science-fiction/fantasy wargamer’s thing, and I doubt most of them know why they do this, other than because it’s the norm in that field. (And leads to many, many questions on forums such as, “How do I paint my figures white over a black undercoat? I tried and I need like a dozen coats!” :rolling:)

Reactions: JR

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There’s also the black basing technique, it’s meant to give you tonal variations in the top colour giving a truer look than pre and post shading.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well you managed a good recovery Ian.
Like the anti spill system with the TET ! Mines jamed into a fancy coffee lid , been there before !
John.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Parts of the silver have pulled away
I've had that happen with my last two builds - a touch annoying. The Jet Provost was a pain to fix, the Blenheim, I lost interest in fixing so turned it into an all black night fighter. Lazy, idle - yes...

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've had that happen with my last two builds - a touch annoying. The Jet Provost was a pain to fix, the Blenheim, I lost interest in fixing so turned it into an all black night fighter. Lazy, idle - yes...
Not sure if it's the primer or the fact the plastic was too smooth.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I've had to totally strip this one, the paint kept peeling every time I put some masking tape on.
IMG_20190131_143228.jpgIMG_20190131_143221.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's a real shame Ian as it was looking really good. Hopefully the next paint will adheres better.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Now then, the last two problems I had with paint lifting were both Airfix kits. And now this ? We've both been building for a while, so it's not like were new to this game. I'm certainly not doing anything different.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now then, the last two problems I had with paint lifting were both Airfix kits. And now this ? We've both been building for a while, so it's not like were new to this game. I'm certainly not doing anything different.
This time I've also given the plastic a slight texture by giving it a little sanding. so we'll see later.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ian its a shame to see all that work wasted having to strip the plane as ive never had that problem as I just spray the colour paint I want onto the planes
an ive built a few.But ive never tried what you guys do an that's painting it black afore you put on the top coat an I cannot understand why it should lift

did you use tamyia masking tape ? as ive found that very good an its never lifted my paint off But please rember im new to this panel lineing an wheathering
so ive got a lot to learn