papa 695s Bf 109E

K

Kressy_13

A nice looking kit and should look a bit different when done. Looking forward to the build.

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well I know Richard is doing this very same kit, but it's the only one I have. I will also be doing the RAF version ( hope you don't mind Richard )

Don't mind at all just we are all free to choose the scheme we like, might if I can find another of this kit have a go at the Jap scheme as well

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ok I'm going to pose this one sat on the ground. So just 2 questions

1. Do the front flaps drop open.

2. If so what colour would the wing be underneath them. 

A picture to try and show you what I'm on about.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The colour you are after is RLM 02. Grey green. 
As for the position of the flaps and leading edges while parked... I'll let Steve answer that one.  I did mine closed. ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ok I'm going to pose this one sat on the ground. So just 2 questions

1. Do the front flaps drop open.

2. If so what colour would the wing be underneath them. 

View attachment 264031

View attachment 264032

1. They could do, they operated automatically with aerodynamic forces and were not driven in any way. However, it was common practice to push them shut to prevent any foreign matter or debris getting into the mechanism. The Bf 109 sits at a fairly high angle of attack angle on its wheels, very nose high, and because of this they would remain shut, simply due to gravity. If they were not closed then it is entirely possible that one or both might remain deployed.

There is a short and rare segment of colour film of some early Bf 109s which has led some to suggest that the interior colour of the slat itself was the underside colour, in this case RLM 65. I have to say I have looked very closely at that film and I don't find it conclusive. It might not be relevant in 1/72 scale, but in larger scales where it might be visible I tend to do this interior surface in RLM 02 as well.

2. RLM 02 or a continuation of the camouflage colour. I've seen evidence for both, so it would be your choice if you pose the slats (as the devices are properly called in English) deployed.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
1. They could do, they operated automatically with aerodynamic forces and were not driven in any way. However, it was common practice to push them shut to prevent any foreign matter or debris getting into the mechanism. The Bf 109 sits at a fairly high angle of attack angle on its wheels, very nose high, and because of this they would remain shut, simply due to gravity. If they were not closed then it is entirely possible that one or both might remain deployed.

There is a short and rare segment of colour film of some early Bf 109s which has led some to suggest that the interior colour of the slat itself was the underside colour, in this case RLM 65. I have to say I have looked very closely at that film and I don't find it conclusive. It might not be relevant in 1/72 scale, but in larger scales where it might be visible I tend to do this interior surface in RLM 02 as well.

2. RLM 02 or a continuation of the camouflage colour. I've seen evidence for both, so it would be your choice if you pose the slats (as the devices are properly called in English) deployed.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. 

So in essence they would more than likely be closed. That's easier.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got a pot of Humbrol 24 ( acrylic ), which is the trainer yellow Richard.

I'd suggest adding just a hint of red to that to give the German colour, which had a slight red/gold hue to it.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Think of a fresh free range egg yolk. (Chicken not duck, duck egg yolks are way to orange.... :P  )

B

Builder

Wow Ian mate, this is coming along fast, looking forward to another fantastic build from you.