papa 695s Bristol Beaufighter Airfix 1/72

dubster72

Patrick
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
6,957
Points
113
First Name
Patrick
Old, but hopefully gold eh Ian? Those decals might need replacing though ;)
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Old, but hopefully gold eh Ian? Those decals might need replacing though ;)
Thanks Patrick
 

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
10,546
Points
113
First Name
Joe
Nice choice Ian. Look forward to seeing what you do with this old kit.
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
Right, the story of what I'm doing.


On the 17th March 1943 at 11.25hrs 9 Beaufighters of 272 SQN where escorting some Beauforts of No 39 SQN on a bombing mission on some Axis ships near Malta.


At 11.38hrs the Beaufighter N for November with Pilot Sgt Donald Frazee and observer Sgt Sandery started to vibrate violently and had to ditch. Both crew members survived and were picked up after 5 minuets.


The plane lies upside down in 38 metres of water at the mouth of St Julian's bay.


Here are some reference pictures to look at


image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg



So with that in mind the first kit will be the wreck, and this one I will build to look like it was before it crashed.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg



I'm hoping to put the wreck in a Perspex box with the other sat on top.


I'm just glad it's a SIG and lasts 6 months I may just need it.

image.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Great idea Ian, that's going to be awesome.
Thanks Joe I just hope I can pull it off.
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Great idea Ian. That's the new mould airfix Beaufighter isn't it?.
The second one is yes Dave
 

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
3,089
Points
113
First Name
Robert
This is going to be interesting ( you'll have to excuse my slow brain ( busy at work lately) your building two kits of the same aircraft but the first will be the wreck as depicted in the pics and the second will be the Aircraft as it was before the ditching?


Great idea too by the way and I'll defo be watching with interest


Regards


Robert
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
\ said:
This is going to be interesting ( you'll have to excuse my slow brain ( busy at work lately) your building two kits of the same aircraft but the first will be the wreck as depicted in the pics and the second will be the Aircraft as it was before the ditching?
Great idea too by the way and I'll defo be watching with interest


Regards


Robert
Yes thats the sum of it Robert
 
Joined
Dec 29, 2014
Messages
56
Points
18
Having just built a matchbox Beaufighter as part of the 70's group build let me know if any spares or transfers are helpful, I got a decent sheet of transfers and only used the Burma ones.


Jambo
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Having just built a matchbox Beaufighter as part of the 70's group build let me know if any spares or transfers are helpful, I got a decent sheet of transfers and only used the Burma ones.
Jambo
Thanks for the offer Jambo I will take it up if I need any many thanks again
 

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
8,455
Points
113
Location
sheffield
First Name
tony
AAH ! all becomes clear Ian! You had me worried there for a bit- I thought 'hes never going to tackle the ancient Airfix beau when theres a brand new tooling just come out!?' but for what its going to be the old one is perfect . Great idea , watch out for the differences between the mark 1c and the kits mk X , mainly the angle of the tailplanes and the torpedo shackles and rockets, you might have to scratch a df loop and perspex cover too but nothing major, looking forward to seeing this one develop , cheers tony
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
\ said:
AAH ! all becomes clear Ian! You had me worried there for a bit- I thought 'hes never going to tackle the ancient Airfix beau when theres a brand new tooling just come out!?' but for what its going to be the old one is perfect . Great idea , watch out for the differences between the mark 1c and the kits mk X , mainly the angle of the tailplanes and the torpedo shackles and rockets, you might have to scratch a df loop and perspex cover too but nothing major, looking forward to seeing this one develop , cheers tony
Thanks Tony the one I'm doing was a Mk VI but I will still need to do some changes to it. It all adds to the fun.
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
\ said:
This is going to be great.
To be honest Ralph I'm really looking forward to starting this one, something I can really get my teeth into. But it will probably be a letdown in the end.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SWR

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
15,852
Points
113
First Name
Ian
Made a start on this one too. Got the two halves and wings together. The yellow tape is to show where to make the cut, and I will use the Airfix Beaufighter to show were to put the detail back on after sanding it smooth.


image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 
Top