Papa 695s Guillows P40 Warhawk

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice choice Ian. I've have a Guillows 3/4"- 1ft. Corsair on the go, off and on, for a while now....wing span 30"

I've built quite a few of these balsa model aircraft. The best advise I can give is get a piece of insulation board or something fairly soft bigger than your model and buy a load of plastic headed modelling pins. The key to success with these things is to keep the initial fuselage build flat, square and true. Sounds obvious, but once the fus. is complete and not enough care was taken at the start, any twist is impossible to get out and it might as well go in the bin!

Best of luck

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Nice choice Ian. I've have a Guillows 3/4"- 1ft. Corsair on the go, off and on, for a while now....wing span 30"
I've built quite a few of these balsa model aircraft. The best advise I can give is get a piece of insulation board or something fairly soft bigger than your model and buy a load of plastic headed modelling pins. The key to success with these things is to keep the initial fuselage build flat, square and true. Sounds obvious, but once the fus. is complete and not enough care was taken at the start, any twist is impossible to get out and it might as well go in the bin!

Best of luck
Thanks Ron

While I'm at it what's the best dope and glue to use ?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
look forward to seeing this since ive got a DH Chippie for this GB, and like you, ive never done a balsa kit ever

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Like it Ian , I'll be joining this one I think , even I should be able to complete something in a full year!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Ron
While I'm at it what's the best dope and glue to use ?
Ian, use proper balsa glue. Be warned, it goes off very quickly, so no faffing about.....

As for dope, there are plenty of makes to choose from. I threw away the empty bottle, so I can't remember the name of the stuff I used, sorry!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm not sure if you can call it a start but I've got the planes laid down and covered with cling film.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just a quicky Ian, I tried using cling film - just once. I found I was for ever ducking and diving, trying to avoid the light reflections from the film. I gave up and never used the stuff again, preferring to pin the parts direct to the paper plan....As long as you are careful where the glue goes, you don't really need any covering, as such.

For most of the build, the wing ribs etc. will go on top of the leading and trailing edges, as will the fuse. ribs , so no real need for any protective covering. But do what you feel happy with and good luck with the model. Just make sure everything is nice and square and plumb with the bits stuck on the plan.....and use plenty of pins. The structure will try it's best to warp!

D

demon

Hi I'm an ex balsa aircraft modeler hope this is of use to you

Use pva glue or epoxy or superglue and don't use shrinking dope on the covering use non shrinking dope or bannana oil having sprayed the tissue covering with water from a bottle atomizer this when dry will shrink the covering and make it taught the covering can be put on with thinned pva and a small brush if the tissue has a shiny side this goes outside

Hope this is of some help

Roger

B

Bari

years ago when I was a young person we used to rub a candle over the plans. It was supposed to stop you glueing the parts to the plan. Sometimes it even worked.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I've seen these in my local hobbycraft ( Fw 190 and the p40

I've never done balsa before but I'd be interested to see what this turns out like

I'm watching Ian

Regards

Robert

J

John Rixon

Agree about cyano, or even better, thin aliphatic resin - it's like a very runny cream coloured pva glue, but it wicks into joints and can be sanded very easily. If you want it to fly, stick to the aero modeller's well known axiom - "build in lightness"!

First Name
Gregg
Great little kits, done several over the years fitting electric motors and R/C.

I fully agree with John, if going to fly it, make as light as possible.

Gregg

D

demon

I personally would stay away from the traditional balsa cement as it shrinks a lot when it dries and will pull ribs out of line use an alifatic pva glue this will grab quick and is quite sandable

Roger

F

Fenlander

Last time I built one of these, I was very young using razor blades, there was that much blood on the plans from cut fingers I couldn't really see what I was doing most of the time :oops:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have built plenty of these in my life time so I will be watching with interest as I might be tempted to join in.

Good start by the way