Ian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
20 pence! you could probably get a fortune for that on flea bay, Thats one very old boxing!

An unexpected choice as well. I will look forward to seeing it come together.

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That will look great when you finnish the rigging :laughing:

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ole not much detail in the office so just a quick dry brush then shut it up

Ian M Still trying to find something for the rigging my hair is thin, but thats too thick any ideas ?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well got the hull painted

View attachment 46639 View attachment 46640 View attachment 46641 View attachment 46642 View attachment 46643 View attachment 46644 View attachment 46645 View attachment 46646 View attachment 46647

Then started on the deck with all the fiddley little posts to paint

View attachment 46648 View attachment 46649 View attachment 46650 View attachment 46651 I had to take a rest at this point it was doing my head in

But now iv'e got a a big doubt in my head about the right colour scheme for the Pacific just done as the box art so if some one can point me in the right direction or a picture of the correct scheme would be a great help ( i hope i dont need to repaint the hull )

Thanks in advance Ian

View attachment 49641

View attachment 49642

View attachment 49643

View attachment 49644

View attachment 49645

View attachment 49646

View attachment 49647

View attachment 49648

View attachment 49649

View attachment 49650

View attachment 49651

View attachment 49652

View attachment 49653

hms KGtV 001.jpg

hms KGtV 002.jpg

hms KGtV 003.jpg

hms KGtV 004.jpg

hms KGtV 005.jpg

hms KGtV 006.jpg

hms KGtV 007.jpg

hms KGtV 008.jpg

hms KGtV 009.jpg

hms KGtV 012.jpg

hms KGtV 013.jpg

hms KGtV 014.jpg

hms KGtV 011.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Between July 1944 until the end of 1945 KGV was painted in Admiralty standard type B:

Teak decks. Overall G45 with a band of B20 panel over the important bits, probably the armourbelt.

G45 is a warm silver grey B20 a blue colour. Sorry. :smile3:

I have not found a match but if you like you can get the colours here https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/c/WWII+Royal+Navy+Colours/45/2/

The grey You have used looks ok so all is not lost, I will see if I can find a close match in Humbrol or Vallejo. It those I know best, and you can cross ref from there.

Ian M

Vallejo model color Grey Blue with a touch of black to darken it, (allmost an RAF uniform blue to my eye.)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ian still looking on the internet and still a little lost, Seen some models of KGV on other forums in Pacific colours and all different ( splinter camo , just all grey with a different colour band on the mid section of the hull ) just a little confused

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Why look at models on the interweb, when you can see pictures of the real thing.

File:King George V class battleship 1945.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Ron ( spanner 570 ) did you post on this ? or am i dreaming?
Dont worry Ian, I did post but deleted it, as the info. I posted was conflicting with something I later read!!!

It seems KG5 cammo is rather like a lot of other types of kit, folks have a different take on it........

Personally I would take the safe and easy route and do the following for her time in the Pacific:-

All vertical surfaces...Admiralty Light Grey

Iron decks, such as fore and aft where the anchor chains are, and any deck not timber deck planks.... Admiralty Dark Grey. The tops of the turrets were also painted dark grey.

The timber decks, teak colour (like you have done)

For the cammo I would just do a slab of dark grey on the hull, ending way short of the actual length of the ship. This gave the illusion that the ship was actually shorter than she was and was supposed to confuse the enemy. I wouldn't do the splinter cammo as that was probably more for Atlantic waters.

There is quite a lot of heated disscussions on ship forums about KG5, so all the above is just what I've picked from them and as a result, how I would do it.....but as the saying goes. It's your model, so done get uptight about it. Just paint it as you want it, and as long as it's something like, I would be happy.

Elsewhere you would probably get the 'Ship rivet counters' sticking their bippy in, not here. We are, as a rule, just happy to see a nice model well presented!

Cheers,

Ron

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian M and Ron thank you very much for the imput ,That picture helps alot and goes with what Ron said, looks like repainting the hull is in order Many thanks again

Ian ( papa 695 )

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
3/9 is worth a read if you wish to try do it right. I wouldn't go as far as saying I am a rivet counter, far from it but I just wish to give you the "official" paint scheme should you wish to use it.

Ian M