Papa 695s P38 Lightning GB chat thread

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well first of all thanks to all who have made this GB possible.
Now the rules.
1 A P38 Lightning any scale.

2 it can be a stand alone or a diorama ( if a diorama all building must be shown in the build thread )

3 all box art and sprues must be shown before you start building ( please don’t show what your building in this thread, save it for your build thread )

4 Any extras if you want to add them or OOB

5 The start date is from the 1st August 2019 until the end of January 2020 SO no starting until this date.

6 If you want to join in after the start date feel free, but all other rules must be adhered to.

7 Most important of all have fun

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Will be watching this having built 3 in the past. I haven't shown the WIP of the three here yet, whats interesting was I built them altogether. Might just follow along and share them separately as the GB progresses till January.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

I had the privilege of meeting a P-38 night fighter pilot once. He described the classic tactic of climbing to a great height, then executing a shallow dive in order to catch enemy planes from above and behind. An all black version would be cool.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I had the privilege of meeting a P-38 night fighter pilot once. He described the classic tactic of climbing to a great height, then executing a shallow dive in order to catch enemy planes from above and behind. An all black version would be cool.
It just so happens thats the version i intend doing peter :thumb2: Cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Tony. Is that so you can tick two GB off in a one'er? lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tony. Is that so you can tick two GB off in a one'er? lol
I did consider doing the p38m for the nightfighter gb alan but that would have meant having to find another p38 for Ians gb , of course i could always have done the 1/32 revell lightning in the stash but i dont think i would have been able to do it as i wanted in six months!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Need a bit of help with the cockpit interior green colour. Some references say it's a zinc chromate green and some just say interior green. Can anyone give me a colour reference callout for Vallejo if possible? I have two colours in my collection zinc chromate 71094 and interior green 71010. If these will be ok, which one should i choose?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Al', I knew precious little about interior cockpit colours when I built a U.S. fighter. I asked the same question and was given an answer by a member with a vast knowledge of such matters (He rarely comes on here now)
He informed me that Vallejo 71010 was the correct colour.
I went with this.
Of course, there probably will be someone who will disagree. If so old lad, you will be back to square one!

Ron

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Allan, go with the 71010 interior green as Ron has suggested. The other 71094 zinc chromate was an anti corrosion paint for the interior of exposed metal panels. Some say it depended on the amount of zinc green that was added to the yellow chromate that determined the shade. So it still is in debate.

Cheers,
Richard

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi Ian.Sorry for not updating my build. I'll be trying to get back onto my entry for the GB. Had a few issues lately with my mental health and also been working a lot. Really want to get this done and have a go at the NMF

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian.Sorry for not updating my build. I'll be trying to get back onto my entry for the GB. Had a few issues lately with my mental health and also been working a lot. Really want to get this done and have a go at the NMF
No worries Alan, just take your time you’ve got until January mate

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ian

I totally forgot about this the start date anyway I had something put aside when you first mentioned this GB. May I join maybe it will get my mojo back the model is very simple thanks