papa 695's Sunderland flying boat

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Crikey, good luck Ian. I have this one as well, it's a typical old Airfix offering. I think it will looks great in that temperate camouflage scheme.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one Ian , ive got very fond memories of this kit, i remember building it as a kid , i was really chuffed by the sliding front turret and bomb racks!! Is it just a case of deleting the mid upper turret or are there more differences between the Mk 1 and Mk 3 ? Looking forward to seeing both yours and joes , cheers tony

P

Polux

Looks fine! I like the scheme you have choice, good luck Ian!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I also remember this from when a kid. My granddad bought it for me and I loved this one.

Maybe one day HK Models will do a 1/32 scale version.... I will find the room for that even if not for the B17 and Lanc..... ;) ;) ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This will be a trip down memory lane for me as well. Looking forward to this one.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Nice one Ian , ive got very fond memories of this kit, i remember building it as a kid , i was really chuffed by the sliding front turret and bomb racks!! Is it just a case of deleting the mid upper turret or are there more differences between the Mk 1 and Mk 3 ? Looking forward to seeing both yours and joes , cheers tony
I've been looking on line Tony and its just the upper turret that needs to be changed to two smaller gun emplacements on either side so hopefuly it wont be too much trouble ( famous last words )

First Name
Dave
Nice choice Ian.Ive made two of these in the past.Has it still got the black shape with white dots on the instruction sheet that you used to have to cut out and stick to the instrument panel?.Or do Airfix now give you a nice Instrument panel decal?.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is the same vintage as my one. They provide an awesome black shape with white dots for you to stick onto your fine model.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Nice choice Ian.Ive made two of these in the past.Has it still got the black shape with white dots on the instruction sheet that you used to have to cut out and stick to the instrument panel?.Or do Airfix now give you a nice Instrument panel decal?.
Sorry for the late reply Dave, and yes it's only black and white and printed on the instructions sheet

T

tecdes

Yes that is some nice cosy monster.

There used to be one in a Museum in Southampton. Not sure if is still there. Unusual for a museum they allowed you to wander all over the aircraft. It was/is a civil type very luxurious.

In the tale of HMS Amythest, caught up in the Yangste River by the Communist Regime, battered by the artillery on the banks a Sunderland lands alongside with a doctor and medicine etc as the boat was cornered and unable to move. In the film, very accurate (the Captain was on set) , there are great scenes as the Sunderland lands and then takes off. A beautiful sight as she takes to the air from the water.

To finish the tale Amythest belts down the Yangste to the sea and rejoins the Fleet. Great scenes not only the Sunderland but they used the Amythest's sister ship for some great scenes.

Laurie

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Finally got this started , got the ailerons and wings put together

View attachment 76593

View attachment 76594

View attachment 76595

View attachment 76596

View attachment 76597

Primed the inside and cockpit parts Lots of work to do in there to remove the pin marks. Also looking at after market internal sets but there around £20 to £30 so may look at making my own if I can find some images of the inside

View attachment 76598

View attachment 76599

View attachment 76600

View attachment 76601

and started to fill the rear turret View attachment 76602

Sunderland 1 001.JPG

Sunderland 1 002.JPG

Sunderland 1 003.JPG

Sunderland 1 004.JPG

Sunderland 1 005.JPG

Sunderland 1 006.JPG

Sunderland 1 007.JPG

Sunderland 1 008.JPG

Sunderland 1 009.JPG

Sunderland 1 010.JPG

First Name
Dave
Looking good.Ive seen the PE sets for this model.Quite comprehensive but expensive compared to the price of the kit.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good to see yo got around to sticking plastic Ian. I'm another that has built this back in the day. Quite a big bird I recall.

Dave, the trick with PE is to take a cheap kit and make it into an expensive looking one. lol.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Good to see yo got around to sticking plastic Ian. I'm another that has built this back in the day. Quite a big bird I recall.Dave, the trick with PE is to take a cheap kit and make it into an expensive looking one. lol.

Ian M
Doesn't seem to work that way for me Ian!.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Ian. Some photos here of the inside of a Sunderland

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/sundland.html

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/7803

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
MMM lovely rivets! , i really like the old airfix rivet rash , in the case of this aircraft its totally representative of the real thing . Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build , cheers tony