papa 695's Sunderland flying boat

First Name
Dave
There's a Sunderland in the RAF museum at Hendon if you are ever in London Ian.Its set up so you can enter near the front and walk through it.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Even the new Italeri Sunderland Mk1 doesn't have much interior detail in it apart from stringers and a few formers from what I have seen from online reviews. I think you've done what needed to be done Ian, as you say most of it will be hidden. Coming along nicely, watching with interest and your build is making me wish I had the time now to get my Sunderland built.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Excellent so far Ian, but don't the pilots have moustaches - or is that just the angle of the pics!

Gern

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Excellent so far Ian, but don't the pilots have moustaches - or is that just the angle of the pics!Gern
Yes they do Dave and if you notice they are identical twins I just didn't want to paint them on but just for you I will

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Good man! I didn't want you to miss such an obvious detail - you wouldn't want the rivet counters on your back would you? :D

Gern

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Good man! I didn't want you to miss such an obvious detail - you wouldn't want the rivet counters on your back would you? :D Gern
So are you going to get off mine now then Dave ;) ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
So are you going to get off mine now then Dave ;) ;)
Of course! I'm only glad to have been of help. I know you'd have been totally gutted to find you'd missed such major details after you'd buttoned up the fuse and fitted the canopy, and probably would have scrapped the whole thing rather than submit it with such glaring errors! :D

Gern

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks like Airfix have moulded both pilots 'sitting ' to attention. They need to chill a bit.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
It looks like Airfix have moulded both pilots 'sitting ' to attention. They need to chill a bit.
They've probably just spotted a couple of JU88's over the Bay of Biscay Colin!.

C

Caledonia

Nice one Ian, remember building this kit in the late 1950's, my mate had to lend me 1/- so that I could buy it for the princely sum of 10/6 about 52 new pence to you young uns. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Ian, it is coming together nicely. Squadron Leader Groucho Marx and Pilot Officer Ron Burgundy are ready for their next mission :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
They look like the 2 British airmen in Allo Allo!
Fairfax and Carstairs..............................Helllooooo

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Nice one Ian , ive got very fond memories of this kit, i remember building it as a kid , i was really chuffed by the sliding front turret and bomb racks!! Is it just a case of deleting the mid upper turret or are there more differences between the Mk 1 and Mk 3 ? Looking forward to seeing both yours and joes , cheers tony
Been slowly ( very slowly ) working on this one The props are different on the Mk1 to the Mk 3 so had to get these

View attachment 79518

View attachment 79519

View attachment 79520

Got the upper turrets sorted still needs a lot cleaning up to do but nearly ready for painting

View attachment 79521

View attachment 79522

View attachment 79523

Are you happy now Colin ?

Sunderland 6 004.JPG

Sunderland 6 005.JPG

Sunderland 6 006.JPG

Sunderland 6 007.JPG

Sunderland 6 008.JPG

Sunderland 6 009.JPG