papa 695's XT 901 of 56sqn RAF Wattisham

First Name
Dave
Sorry to sound like a rivet counter Ian.But XT901 was an RAF Spey engined Phantom.The F4C had J79 engines and a slimmer shape fuselage.Only Hasegawa make 1/48 kits of British Spey engined Phantoms.And they are a bit pricy if you can find them.The Revell F4C will build into a nice Vietnam war Phantom.Im after one myself.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Dave thanks for the info, but please don't take this the wrong way but i'm no rivet counter if i can get it to look something like thats good enough for me

First Name
Dave
Fair enough Ian.At the end of the day it's just a model and I'm sure you will make a good job of it.Im certainly not a rivet counter,as you will see if you look at any of my builds!.I was a fitter on Phantoms in the RAF for twelve years and I waited a long time for some one to bring out a British Phantom .That was the Matchbox 1/72 kit.The only manufacturer that has bothered in 1/48 is Hasegawa.Made a couple some years ago.Would like another but for some reason they are around £60,when all the other phantoms they do are around £38!.Saw one at the Telford show for £40,but I'd spent all the money I'd allowed myself by then.Maybe next year.I look forward to seeing your build.The P.E set looks good.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Revell boxing of the 56sq phantom is a Spey engined one and also has the correct slatted elavarons. It is the Hasegawa kit and sells at around the £25- £30 mark. But I agree RAF/RN phantoms are thin on the ground and this reflects in the price.

I am sure that you will get a great result out of it Ian. The only bit that really stands out are the exhaust nozzels, and those I'm sure you could scratch out of plastic card and or tube.

Ian M

Ha thats the one Ian., I was too long in replying. I have that kit as a candidate, as it contains all the gubbings to make both a Navy and an RAF bird.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi Dave Revell do a 1/48 british Phantom View attachment 58366 Antics on line for £23
That's interesting.Didnt know about this one.Thanks Ian.Just looked it up on line and its the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa FGR2.Thats the original RAF model,not the FG1's that were transferred from the navy when the carriers were axed.The FG1 had the leading edge slot on the stabilator (tail plane).

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Made a start on this, and decided to add these View attachment 58734 View attachment 58735

so i needed cut out the molded seats from the cockpit and put a new floor in View attachment 58736 View attachment 58737 View attachment 58738 View attachment 58739

Started adding the PE to the instrument panels View attachment 58740 View attachment 58741 View attachment 58742 View attachment 58743

Looks realy nice but i may have made a BOO BOO here The PE is for the Hasegawa kit and this one's the Revell so i may need to do some work to get them all in

View attachment 60593

View attachment 60594

View attachment 60595

View attachment 60596

View attachment 60597

View attachment 60598

View attachment 60599

View attachment 60600

View attachment 60601

View attachment 60602

Phantom cockpit 009.jpg

Phantom cockpit 010.jpg

Phantom cockpit 005.jpg

Phantom cockpit 006.jpg

Phantom cockpit 007.jpg

Phantom cockpit 008.jpg

Phantom cockpit 001.jpg

Phantom cockpit 002.jpg

Phantom cockpit 003.jpg

Phantom cockpit 004.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good, if a little early, start LOL.

It looks like it was fun cutting those seats out.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
He He. I have put a motion forward as to if we should open the start gate, so we will see what the others say.

personally I think that the first of April is a looooooong time to wait, and yes I am chomping at the bit as well. lol

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still a nice office.

For the pull cords you might like to try the spun cotton. Take two strands, on black, the other yellow or orange. Tie them in a loop and rub them in with pva glue. Then spin them up. I use a hook in a drill chuck and just spin it in my fingers. When you have it as tight as you want the stripes, tape both ends while it dries to stop in unravelling... Sounds a pain but looks good and loads easier than painting them....

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Nice seats.I like Ian's idea for the ejector seat handles.May have to pinch that one for my build!.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Ian, the cockpit is looking fantastic.

D

Danny

Looking good Ian...thats a skill i need to learn , re-scribing. We are building the same kit and now mine has paint on it, Im sure it would have made a difference..

Danny

S

Sky Raider

Nice work Ian, will look fantastic when your done im sure.

Andy