Papa695s HMS Illustrious (Airfix 1/350) Started June 17th 2014

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Just found this. Nice build. Loved the streaking, (rust). Spent a few weeks on 'Lusty' doing some 'shhhhh' exercises, not a happy ship. (Well I certainly wasn't - a lot of uncooperative folk). But Ian has done a cracking job. A war canoe ain't complete without the obligatory rust streaks.
I served on the Ark Royal and Invincible, I didn't get the full set :disappointed2: .. I haven't weathered my model yet, this thread will help greatly with that :thumb2::thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I served on the Ark Royal and Invincible, I didn't get the full set :disappointed2: .. I haven't weathered my model yet, this thread will help greatly with that :thumb2::thumb2:
Did 3 or 4 SF operations off Lusty other than that crashed on deck in the simulator!!! Didn't like the ship at all. I mean - who has a Cdr as a buffer!!! I wasted a whole half day chasing the buffer down!!! :rolling: :smiling2::smiling2:

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Did 3 or 4 SF operations off Lusty other than that crashed on deck in the simulator!!! Didn't like the ship at all. I mean - who has a Cdr as a buffer!!! I wasted a whole half day chasing the buffer down!!! :rolling: :smiling2::smiling2:
Clearly a crap officer, they're usually NCOs . I loved the Ark, still in touch with a few lads today albeit it they're not lads anymore,

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Clearly a crap officer, they're usually NCOs . I loved the Ark, still in touch with a few lads today albeit it they're not lads anymore,
Yup, I was looking for a chief as it was a flat(ish) top. On frigates and such it's either a senior PO or CPO. Bit of an overkill having a Cdr. All for a 90 foot deplaning rope!!
I was totally ignored in the mess too, a right Billy No Mates for the duration.

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Yup, I was looking for a chief as it was a flat(ish) top. On frigates and such it's either a senior PO or CPO. Bit of an overkill having a Cdr. All for a 90 foot deplaning rope!!
I was totally ignored in the mess too, a right Billy No Mates for the duration.

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Ignored by the entire mess? That's a bit drastic, I had a couple of falling outs, sorted after a few delivered and recieved blows and a run ashore

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ignored by the entire mess? That's a bit drastic, I had a couple of falling outs, sorted after a few delivered and recieved blows and a run ashore
I think it was because our SF air wing changed the ships programme. We embarked for a couple of weeks - didn't play the ships standard routine and I must admit we were quite disruptive due to the nature of our ops!!! Meal times outside of normal times, flying 24/7. Nature of the beast I would have thought, but the PO's mess appeared to have a bit of a problem with life!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think it was because our SF air wing changed the ships programme. We embarked for a couple of weeks - didn't play the ships standard routine and I must admit we were quite disruptive due to the nature of our ops!!! Meal times outside of normal times, flying 24/7. Nature of the beast I would have thought, but the PO's mess appeared to have a bit of a problem with life!!
Wow mate, that's more than unusual to me - a Cdr as a Buffer - that's analagous to me employing the Boss as a one of my Cpl Bar Stewards! Unbelievable!
Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I wish I'd read through this before I started my build, I found the hull bent badly out of shape, getting the two halves together was a ball ache and the flight deck not much better. I'm just finishing up the last of the small parts to finish but I'm dreading the iddy biddy decals, any words of wisdom on best approach or should I clean my glasses and practise micro surgery?
Sorry for the late reply Chris, I found the decals went down very nicely ( when put the right way around ) I don't think you should have much trouble.

Crispier

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Sorry for the late reply Chris, I found the decals went down very nicely ( when put the right way around ) I don't think you should have much trouble.
A shed load of decals!! Took me a while bit finished the buggers in the end. The tiny aircraft ones where surprisingly easy, getting all the lines, lined up was a right faff