Part 1 Supermarine Spitfire MkVb

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Thanks guys
I have been making Spitfires amongst other things since I first started making models.

Each time I try to improve on the last then I joined this wonderful site and my nightmares began!!! ( only kidding.

Now will do better than my normal bash and try and make this the best ever. Oh I still have the Vc to do aswell ( part 2 )and I just won that on e bay so should be here in a day or two

Robert
I'll be watching both parts Robert, you can't beat a good spitfire!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well busy few days at work so not much time on the table but heh that's life.

Well I have now finished port and starboard halfs of the Spitfire Vb in general after scratch building a few internal parts and some wiring to give it more interest.Yes open cockpit!

I've given a burnt umber wash to and a light dry brush.

I then started on the cockpit seat/ armour plate and I have drilled out some ribbing holes and the place for where the Sutton harness to go.

Dry brush and weathered the cockpit and I have done some chipping here and there although pics don't show it.

Instrument panel was picked out with various colours ( ref pics used ) and then lightly dry brushed. Compass was picked out with metallic grey.

I then started on the wing and this really is a wing of beauty.

Pics

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Postie brought my after market seat belts ( Sutton harness) so I attached to seat. I have been in contact with Stona regarding the seat belts and yes normally I have used Tamiya tape as I've never really got on with Pe but thought of I take my time and concentrate hard enough I could manage it.

With ref pics to hand and Stona excellant advice I decided to put on the restraining wires( scratch from fuse wire and ca into place ) that will be attached to the ribs of the Internal structure. Just one more extra part to make as authentic as possible.

Next I will carefully brush on a primer before giving them the correct colours and then weathering/ dry brush.

Comments as always welcome

Cheers

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

Very nice work there Robert & a great tip for those harnesses.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Very nice work there Robert & a great tip for those harnesses.
Thanks Patrick

I always try to make a better Spitfire than tha last and well seeing as this is SIG Malta I thought why not try one better and with good advice and help surely I can't go wrong............

Cheers

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Put some X21 flat base on the seat belts as a primer before I start to paint them.

Doing a bit of dry fitting and I have noticed in the past with Spitfire builds there' alwaways seems to be a step at the rear fuselage and also sometimes a sliver of a gap on the wing root join

This Tamiiya kit has no such flaws and the seam is near on invisible ( dry fitted for a pic shot ) really impressed )

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You need to remove the strengthening strakes on the top wings, over the wheel wells. Your Spitfire left No.8 M.U. in February 1942 on its way to Malta. Those strakes were fitted as a modification from 16th July 1942 and it wasn't until December that squadrons received leaflets allowing them to do the work themselves. There's no way your Spitfire could have had them.

Cheers

Steve

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Steve for this vital information. I'll have to take a small file to them and clean up and rescribe.

I have to admit on the pictures I've seen of Vbs I have not really seen the top wings,mainly side profiles or model kits of Vbs

Cheers

Robert

F

Fenlander

Really nice progress Robert. Steve is an absolute encyclopaedia on these things.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on beautifully now robert , it looks a great kit. The pe belts look awesome and are the first thing that people notice (or notice missing) when they see a completed cockpit . I really must get myself a Spit of some sorts , surprisingly I've only built one since I was a kid and I only ever did 2 back then (venerable Airfix VB JE-J ,and my fave at the time ,the old Revell 1/32 with retracting wheels and removeable engine panels !!) . This one has shown me how nice the Tamiya 1/48 s are . cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
You need to remove the strengthening strakes on the top wings, over the wheel wells. Your Spitfire left No.8 M.U. in February 1942 on its way to Malta. Those strakes were fitted as a modification from 16th July 1942 and it wasn't until December that squadrons received leaflets allowing them to do the work themselves. There's no way your Spitfire could have had them.
Cheers

Steve
Removed with a No 10 scalpel and fine sanded smooth ( no rescribe needed!! Woohoo

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Pics of progress on wing after stones exellant knowledge got me on track. I thought I'd got away with the rescribe but to be on the safe side I took the panels back in line. Think I knickef the right cannon blister and the left wheel well but easily fixed with mr surfacer and a smooth sand.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

N

noble

This is looking the business Robert what scale is it.?

Scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
surprisingly I've only built one since I was a kid and I only ever did 2 back then (venerable Airfix VB JE-J
Blue plastic (they called it something like 'impact resistant'), came in a bag? You're showing your age if it was that one :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

D

Deleted member 4539

Just got back to this Robert.

And what fine progress you are making.

I can see there has been a lot of work put into this and it is certainly paying off.

Those seatbelts look brilliant and will be even better once painted.

Looking forward to more of this great build. :smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
This is looking the business Robert what scale is it.?
Scott
This is Tamiya 1/48 scale Supermarine Spitfire MkVb ( Trop) item No 61035.

It's a sweet kit and I'm enjoying it

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Just got back to this Robert.
And what fine progress you are making.

I can see there has been a lot of work put into this and it is certainly paying off.

Those seatbelts look brilliant and will be even better once painted.

Looking forward to more of this great build. :smiling3:
Thanks Ralph for the great comments, I'm getting there in leaps and bounds now will be nearing the paint stage soon.

Cheers

Robert