Part 1 Supermarine Spitfire MkVb

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys and gals

This will be in two parts for my entry in to the SIG Malta build.

First part will be Tamiya 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Vb of 249 Sqn Flt officer Robert Mc Nair AB262 GN*B. Aircraft was flown from HMS Eagle and I believe these were the first Spitfires to arrive in Malta for air defence. ( don't quote me as I may be slightly wrong. The 2nd build should be a Spitfire Mk Vc but more on that later.

I have had some advice from Steve ( Stona ) on paint ref and some good advice and help from Dave who is sending me a replacement correct spinner.

The build should be a straightforward affair and I'm not anticipating any hiccups.I like the kit as it shows two versions of pilots 1 fully RAF flight suit and one in shorts med dress ( however flying a spitfire in shorts?? It also has the dreadful slipper tank that I heard leaked very badly ( not sure I'll use this. It's a Tamiya kit so should be a good one.

I have ordered some decals from Xtradecal so I can get the exact aircraft I want to depict. I will prob use some after market seat belts but painting of the main aircraft will be in due time until I get my new compressor. I can make a start though.

Box art and sprue shots

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

I'll watch this Robert.

You seem to have a few kit's on the go. ;)

I can only ever work on one at a time.

First Name
Dave
You cant go wrong with a Tamiya kit. The new Airfix Spitfire Vb includes decals for McNairs Malta Spitfire and is a really nice kit to build.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
You cant go wrong with a Tamiya kit. The new Airfix Spitfire Vb includes decals for McNairs Malta Spitfire and is a really nice kit to build.
I never saw that Spitfire ( bummer ) but as you say you can't go wrong with Tamiya ( he says fingers crossed)

Cheers

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I'll watch this Robert.
You seem to have a few kit's on the go. ;)

I can only ever work on one at a time.
I have lots in the pipeline but as you prob know I have no compressor at present ( Johns got me one on order so waiting on that)

Then I'm gonna have a spray party!!!! :D :D:D

Robert

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I never saw that Spitfire ( bummer ) but as you say you can't go wrong with Tamiya ( he says fingers crossed)
Cheers

Robert
If you fancy another spitfire this is the kit i mentioned. I built i last year in McNairs colours. Great kit.

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
If you fancy another spitfire this is the kit i mentioned. I built i last year in McNairs colours. Great kit.
View attachment 149123
Oh could I possibly do three for a SIG ?? I'm tempted ( you selling :D :D

Cheers

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well started the office in earnest and usual clean up and no problems wiith dry fits.

Checked out all the paints I'll need for this build and I'll go down the rule of Tamiya me thinks but I'm a bit dubious on the mix ratios with some of the later steps IE Azure blue for underside says X-16:2 + XF-2:10 + XF-18:5. I'm sure it will be fine but possibly see John and get a Azure Med blue in Vallejo....... Long ways off

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Tommy
Looking forward to see the progress on this!

First Name
Dave
I thought the start date was tomorrow 1st March?. Does this mean i can start mine today as well?!.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I thought the start date was tomorrow 1st March?. Does this mean i can start mine today as well?!.
Well I think a Beaufighters on here somewhere in this forum for this SIG

Your right Dave sorry it's a leap year and I never knew ( oops )....... But then again I have two to build..... Will Polux penalise me.?? Hahaha

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Made a start on the internal office yesterday, painted tonight but still needs weathering/ scratch built a few parts IE radio few wires and little bits of detail to try and make ( look aurhentic)

I have been in touch with Spitfire Ace ( Steve ) on guidance with differant parts and Think it's coming on nicely

Need to work on the cockpit and thendials etc now.

Postie brought me my decals today and although the ref pic of AB262 show in Mid stone/Dark Earth/ Azure blue the Spit will be getting over sprayed with dark sea/ spare grey which I believe was the correct colour but the original demarcation was still visible. This wil be a new challenge for me.

Sorry about Aussie upside down pics ( no offence Monica )

Comments welcome.

Cheers

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks guys

I have been making Spitfires amongst other things since I first started making models.

Each time I try to improve on the last then I joined this wonderful site and my nightmares began!!! ( only kidding.

Now will do better than my normal bash and try and make this the best ever. Oh I still have the Vc to do aswell ( part 2 )and I just won that on e bay so should be here in a day or two

Robert