Parts left over?

K

Keithmayes

I have just finished building my Apollo Saturn V and discovered I have parts left on the sprue. They are the explosive bolts/clamps that join the stages together. I have gone through the instructions very carefully and only 4 are shown, however 8 were on the sprue. There is nowhere they would fit so they must be spares? Is this normal?

L

Laurie

Often found Keith that manufacturers put an odd number of little things on the sprue. Also happens on PE.

So into the collection spares box.

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

Thanks Laurie, you have given me piece of mind, I was beginning to doubt myself.

L

Laurie

It is when you see a piece on the sprue and think "what on earth is that" !

Then find the answer and realise that construction has gone past the no return point, tut. There the offending piece sits peacefully on the sprue with you looking at it with hatred and vowing to read the instructions with more attention in the future.

You never do of course. It is the human mind we assume things when we read instructions only to find the assumption is not reality.

I suppose that is why most here are insane or just travelling at different speeds towards that insanity which is prevalent and expected amongst the model making profession. Being a human being is such a chore . ;) But I like it. :D very much. It is almost like living. :eek:

Laurie

D

Doug Hughes

I think some manufacturers (like Eduard) have taken to giving you a few more of the tiny parts than you need - some for you and some for the carpet monster.

K

Keithmayes

Well that is very generous of them, but I wish they would make it clear that they are extras, I spent ages going over the instructions again and again. I was at the point where I was believing my wife is right, I am plonker!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
you probably had 2 indentical sprues but only need the parts from 1 so therefore extra

L

Laurie

\ said:
I was at the point where I was believing my wife is right, I am plonker!
Keith despite all else have you considered that this may still be true. :oops:

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Keith despite all else have you considered that this may still be true. :oops:Laurie
Good point. At 1:30 this morning, when determined to finish the build, I had the Apollo 11 lunar lander glued to my finger by a leg and hanging on for grim death like an evil albino spider, I did question my sanity. Plonker was the least of it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In all my years I have never had a kit that has had spare parts of any thing. I have wished that there was.

Parts that are not used in the version in the box are often crossed of the instruction sheet, if that is there is a picture of all the sprues...

Ian M

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
In all my years I have never had a kit that has had spare parts of any thing. I have wished that there was.Parts that are not used in the version in the box are often crossed of the instruction sheet, if that is there is a picture of all the sprues...

Ian M
Thanks Ian. This is my first model attempt so I did not know what to expect re spare parts. The instructions show a picture of the sprue in question with 8 parts, exactly as the actual sprue, and with none crossed off. However, only 4 are mentioned in the build instructions and it is quite obvious that only 4 are needed, there is simply nowhere else to use them. They really are spares, but it does strike me as odd because if that is the case why on Earth do they not mention it?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
In all my years I have never had a kit that has had spare parts of any thing. Ian M
'Spares' are rare, but not unknown, usually as a result of two identical sprues on which some parts which are not needed are duplicated. I assume it cheaper to mold the two identical sprues with some small extras than to mold an extra, slightly different, sprue.

'Unused' parts, typically parts for a version of the kit that you aren't building are commonplace, at least in aircraft kits. I've got a lot of 1/32 Luftwaffe drop tanks in my spares :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:
Parts that are not used in the version in the box are often crossed of the instruction sheet
Similar Ian but I put a thick felt pen cross through each piece as illustrated in the instructions as I take them from the sprue. Also as each of the individual sections in the instructions are complete I put a cross through those. Ring any pieces I have left for fixing near to completion.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I've got a lot of 1/32 Luftwaffe drop tanks in my spares :smiling3:
I have actually built a whole Spitfire out of the spares box! The spares box (or boxes in my case, two aircraft, one armour and one boat. Oh and one figures....) I really need a clear out!

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As an example, a typical tank kit may have two identical sprues for the wheels and suspension as these parts are the same on each side. But suppose the tank carries a single spare wheel? The manufacturer often includes an extra wheel on both sprues as it is cheaper to produce two castings of the same sprue than it is to make a separate mould - so you end up with a spare wheel. Many aircraft kits include a variety of underwing stores - missiles, bombs, fuel tanks etc. - to give you a choice of loads. You'll also sometimes get a choice of different versions which have different parts - desert aircraft have different air filters for example. All these options will leave you with bits left over for the spares box.

Sometimes very small or fragile parts are duplicated in case of loss or damage. I agree it can be annoying when they don't point this out, but what the h**l! - it's nice to get freebies nowadays.

L

larchiefeng

I know most of the Tamiya 1/32 aircraft usually have "extras" because they are planning a later release of a different variant at some future time. It allows them to utilize the same general sprues and only create new molds for the main parts such as wings or fuselage

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
In all my years I have never had a kit that has had spare parts of any thing. I have wished that there was.
Parts that are not used in the version in the box are often crossed of the instruction sheet, if that is there is a picture of all the sprues...

Ian M
As it turns out Ian there are not in fact any spares in my kit. The mystery is solved. When I got to the last page of the instructions I referred to the diagram for where to place the decals. It was then I noticed that the four "bits" I had stuck on, leaving a "spare" 4 on the sprue, were not shown in the same place as earlier on in the instructions, instead all 8 were now used and placed a little lower down, and there are not in fact any markers to show where, a case of best judgement called for. I cannot "unglue" the 4 already in place, I used Mr Cement S, so instead I intend to stick on the other four bits so at least they pair up correctly even though a little too high. It will definitely improve the look of the thing as it does look a little unbalanced as it is. This way it will only be a very small error that would take a very knowledgeable person to notice.

The model is already painted and varnished and so I am not sure if I can glue them on to varnish successfully. Do you think super glue would do the trick? Cheers. Keith.

L

Laurie

I would say in this instance super dooper glue will be fine.

Best with this stuff is to go sparing. a small amount will go off quicker than a big dollop. Careful as you are relying on the varnish and the paint films below holding the pieces.

Happened to me and I always take a view first as adding bits left off some times trying to add them on to the finished article can make them conspicuous. I tend towards leaving them off if they are not essential to the looks.

Laurie

K

Keithmayes

Thanks Laurie. I will super glue the parts on, having first painted them. As it happens I bought the glue only this morning because if you remember I broke a leg off the Lunar Lander a couple of weeks back. The leg has gone back just fine. Almost finished! What a learning curve it has been! I must have made every mistake in the book, but at least I have learned a lot from it and all in a short period of time. Looking at buying the Space Shuttle now, to be followed by Concorde. I have definitely got the bug. Cheers. Keith.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Glad to hear you got it sorted out in the end.