Paul's Airfix dogfight double.1/72

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No stickers yet - decided to leave the Spitfire for now and assemble the Me110, then
all the stickers on both aircraft.

So over the last couple of days I have cleaned most of the flash from the sprue, assembled
the main components of the Me110 and primed everything with grey primer.
So it looks like this at the moment:-
Me110ucoat.JPG

No wonder the Luftwaffe struggled - they didn't even give their crew's anything to sit on!!
Let alone instruments and control's!!
Me110pit.JPG

Also if any Luftwaffe/German aircraft fanatic is reading - what color were the interior's painted?

The instructions call for H64(60%) + H91(40%) - which I presume is some sort of grey green color!

Paul.
:smiling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Also if any Luftwaffe/German aircraft fanatic is reading - what color were the interior's painted?

The instructions call for H64(60%) + H91(40%) - which I presume is some sort of grey green color!

Paul.

Hi Paul,
That would be a colour given the German Air Ministry (RLM) designation RLM 02. It was indeed a sort of grey green colour. You can probably google it to find a reasonable representation of it.
Since you are in 1942 if you wanted to do the interior in a very dark grey, designated RLM 66, that would be fine too.
Whatever you've got in the cupboard :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Steve :thumb2: :thumb2: , thought it might be - looking at the Humbrol colors.

Seem to remember reading somewhere that RLM02 was the same color as RAL7021, but as
usual can't find it when you need it!! :rolling:

This one is dated 1940 - H27 + H145 splinter on the top surfaces which I presume are
RLM75 + RLM74? Some mottling of both colors on the side surfaces.

Lower surfaces - a mix of H64 + H65 (50/50) which I presume is RLM76.

MePaint.JPG

Paul.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not very familiar with Humbrol colours, but I looked the numbers up and I think you are right about the intended scheme as per the instructions. RLM 74 and RLM 75 over RLM 76. The box art is definitely having a go at representing that scheme

There is much debate as to when exactly that scheme was officially introduced, the problem being that the first documentary evidence for it is not until late1941, though it certainly appeared earlier than that !

Your Bf 110 is in a 'double' with a Spitfire IX, so it is fine.

As a 'by the way' The typical BoB era camouflage for Bf 110s was an upper splinter of 71/02 over RLM 65. This had superceded the all green very low contrast scheme of the early war period, 70/71 over 65, which happens to be the scheme I'm applying to my He 100.

Edit: Does your kit come with the double stand?
I made one a few years ago with BoB era aircraft and camouflage and found that the stand actually worked amazingly well (for Airfix). Here's a little thumbnail as I don't want to hijack your thread.
IMG_0994_small.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,

Thanks for the info - I'm not a wingy person - and all the RAL numbers were a bit confusing,
especially when all the paint producers seem to have different variations of the same color
(A bit like Dunkelgelb!!).

This set does come with the double stand - but have not cut the slots in the aircraft :flushed: !!
No fear of hijacking the thread - that Me110 looks a menacing beast with the shark mouth.
Did you remove the prop blades completely or replace them with transparent plastic discs?

Paul.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another update in the continuation of the continuation!!

Followed the comprehensive instructions regarding assembly - well there were 40 pieces
to assemble with this plane - that's twice the Spitfire parts count!! :cold-sweat:

MeInstr.JPG MeInstr1.JPG

So after more gluing and painting of bits, managed to resurrect some of my old Humbrol
enamels (And a Revell tin) - then waved a hairy stick at it!!

Humbrol.JPG
Apologies in advance to all the Luftwaffe Aficionados out there, so please look away now :flushed:

MeTop.JPG
and underneath :-
MeUnder.JPG

Primed with grey acrylic - then given a single coat overall of H145 the light color.
Next masked off the long lines for the "splinter" - then painted in H27 the darker color.
Second coat of each color done freehand. Belly up and tickled it with a Revell (49) light blue,
which has dried a little darker then I expected. :sad:
(Thanks to Steve for just clarifying colors for me posted above :thumb2::thumb2:)
Mottled with a "not so hairy" hairy stick using a mix of all 3 colors.
Details such as guns, wheels etc picked out in various acrylics.

Both aircraft now awaiting a quick gloss over ready for some stickers!! :smiling2:;)
Side.JPG

One thing that I have noticed - doesn't come across very well in the picture - the semi gloss
finish from these paints used on the Spitfire :-

AK.JPG
(Bought a while ago - for a Lancaster in the stash ;))
Used straight from the "dropper" after a good shaking, applied with same hairy stick, is this
normal for AK??

Paul.
:smiling2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great paul , cant wait to see the decals on , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good Paul.

I made my 'double' a long time ago, but I think I had to cut the slots in the fuselages too.

The Bf 110 definitely had a menacing look viewed from head on, or in your rear view mirror, shark mouth or not. The nickname they had was 'Jaguar'. It gets a bad rap, but it was fast (a Hurricane would struggle to catch it), very heavily armed and much more manoeuvrable than generally given credit. It was one of the very few aircraft that was in service at the beginning of the war and was still being built at the end.

I always leave props off entirely on aircraft posed in flight and just fill the spinner. I've never managed to make discs look right and I'm not a fan of those etch 'prop blur' parts you can buy. Just my opinion, each to their own. When I see aircraft zoom past me at air shows I don't see the prop disc, so I applied the same logic to my models :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been a while since I last posted on here!! Have been side tracked by one or two household tasks that have interrupted my quarantine modelling and Government sanctioned walk!! :smiling2::smiling2:,
My Panther has also taken up a little more time as well.:thumb2:

So after eventually giving both planes a coat of Tamiya Clear Gloss then left alone to dry (Overnight).
I plucked up the courage to put some wet stuff in a bowl and proceeded to hack the stickers to bits, then drop them into the water ;) amazing how quickly the ME110 stickers floated compared to the Spitty's.:rolling:

Once chamoi'd both planes and ensured there was no water left - gave them a coat of Tamiya Clear Flat & left that to dry.

Anyhow, here are the two wingy things with the stickers on!! :smiling2:;)
could all the "wingy buffs" please avert their gaze now!!!

SpitS.JPG

Me110S.JPG

So there you have it (or rather them! :smiling2:). More pictures in the completed section.

For some one that doesn't like building small airplanes - I'll stick to bigger track's & wheels, It was a fun easy build for just under a fiver. Despite both kits having short comings - and I've had that in more expensive kits as well - so its not just Airfix. This build also brought back quite a few childhood memories of an earlier modelling era of smelly glue's and paints on newspaper on the kitchen table !!

Paul.
:smiling2: