Pauls Sturmgeschutz III Ausf B, 1/35 Italerai/Dragon

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
just parking this here, not going to make a start for a week or two, need to clear the bench of whats already on it

i think this kit has been repopped by several manufacturers over the years.....not looking forward to all the individual tracks, especially since the Stug is slack-track

dscf7611.jpg

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Paul - there will be quite a few of us doing what is essentially the same kit. At least you get track links in yours - I just got really bad, hard vinyl in mine

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon Paul

welcome to the GB, hope it goes well :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Another one to watch. Will be interesting to see how the kits of the same version differ.

Gauge1TrainsDK

SMF Supporter
First Name
Christian
Hi Paul

Enjoy the build!

I would be interested in seeing a few close-up photos of the sprues, to compare to the Dragon kits. Just saying, in case you have time for that sort of thing :smiling:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
will do when i make a start in a week or so

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul

Good luck with the build and especially those tracks. I knew there was a reason I stuck to quick-build kits!!

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I recall, those Dragon Panzer III/IV tracks are not that bad. I only ever put some together for a Warhammer 40K conversion, but they don’t stand out in my memory as having been a bad experience. Looking at the sprues, only two points to clean up, and they’re on the sides, so should be easy compared to some other types of single-link track I can remember dealing with over the years :smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
....and they are miles better than the hard, flash riddled stiff vinyl monstrosities supplied with my Zvezda re-mould :smiling2:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so this is on hold for a while.......the tracks are awful.......its a couple of hundred individual tracks that to be honest are a pain in the nether regions, and i just dont have the patience at the minute

so ive just bought some of these Miniart tracks........but not be here til the new year

35235_10.jpg

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Er Paul - haven’t you just swapped one set of individual links for another set that is more than likely worse to clean up and assemble as they have separate pins as well?

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Er Paul - haven’t you just swapped one set of individual links for another set that is more than likely worse to clean up and assemble as they have separate pins as well?

yes and no.....at least the miniart ones turn into proper tracks.....the ones in the kit have to be individually glued to its neighbour and arnt a good fit to start with.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Interested to see how the mini art workable tracks turn out....look rather fiddly :surprised:
Never had any fit issue with the Dragon Pz III/IV tracks, have done about 4 or 5 of those sets over the years :thinking:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so xmas didnt quite go to plan...........i was going to put everything on the bench to one side and just do something different just for the holidays....never even got to take the box off the stash pile let alone open it!

i spent a couple of days putting the Miniart tracks together which was sort of fun, definatly use them again, just hope they look right and have the slack track look

managed to spend a bit of time at the bench this morning and did some work to the hull.......which is going to be easier now im not using the kit tracks......looking forward to getting some paint on this now im making progress again

dscf7716.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
current state of play.....

painted......had a go at post shading, didnt work very well but cant be arsed to do more.......gloss coat.......decals on.......next step is a black enamel wash

the decals were a bit iffy.....theres two schemes in the box and had to combine decals from both to get something looking ok.......good job im not a rivet counter and couldnt care less about accuracy lol

aa_610.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
slow progress

i will admit to a rapidly vanishing mojo at the minute....its not the kit, just life in general having an effect.....i had all sorts planned for this build, i was going to try a few different weathering tweeks, plus having a go at scratching a load of gubbins under a tarp on the back, cos i have an idea of something to use for the tarp.....dont think any of that will be happening now

next step is to see if those Miniart tracks fit

adscf710.jpg