Paul's (tricky) Normandy Panthers in 1/35 & 1/16

T

tommy1drop

Cracking work and detail, looking forward to the next update.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Small update on the Panther photo etch

Hi everyone, thought I'd post the progress on the RC Panther build. It doesn't look like much but the photographs really don't convey the amount of work and time that went into constructing these PE parts.

As always all the parts were soldered for strength including the chain for the gun crutch (which is comprised of over 60 parts all of which have to articulate!). Anyway, here's some shots...

General PE overview (note some parts have been partially primed).

Right hand tool bracket with photo etch fire extinguisher and scratch built crank starter handle.

Gun crutch with working chain...

URL=http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/tr1ckey66/media/Normandy%20Panther%20Builds/Gun%20Crutch%2002.jpg.html]
Gun%20Crutch%2002.jpg
[/URL]

Another example with tiny split pin

It's slow but enjoyable progress and hopefully the final result will be worth the wait.

Thanks

P

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real well done with the PE,tool work Paul,do real like the detail they have,well done so far, :D

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Terry, Monica it's painfully slow progress I know but I feel I am getting there.

Thanks sgain

Paul

D

dubster72

An articulated chain, even in 1/16 & soldered????  :o Paul your skills & attention to detail astounds me - consider my flabber well & truly gasted! ;)

Last edited:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Out of this world!! AMAZING!! O.o O.o :x

Fantastic work, I am fully hooked!! B|

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Patrick, Gavin for your continued support. I hope the final model will be worth the wait!

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys

i think I've completed approximately 2 thirds of the PE going in to this build, there's still a lot to go on the rear plate, turret etc, but I think I'm getting there.

Thanks for the kind comments

P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will steal a quote from Sir Edmond for this one as I am unable to find an appropriate thing to say. So .....

"I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

Great work Paul. 

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Zimmerit Application

Took a break from soldering this weekend and turned my attention to how I would be replicating the Zimmerit on the Panther hull.

I had purchased the Atak Zimmerit set a while back but decided against using it. Instead I've opted to simulate the effect with a 2 part putty and a Zimmerit tool (a punch with the pattern in the end). The particular putty I'm using is a brand called Mori Mori which has a very fine grain and is a fantastic material for model making purposes. However, getting hold of this stuff is not easy (I bought mine from Japan years ago), it also stinks to high heaven and requires a well ventilated room (you also need to wear a mask when sanding this putty).

What follows is the method I've found (after much testing) that gives the best results...

1. Sand the surface of the hull to give the putty a key to stick to. Then trace where the hull fixtures are to be placed.

2. Mask the marked area with Demo tape (this not only masks the area but acts as a guide for the thickness of the putty you will apply.

Mask the surrounding area with normal tape to protect it.

3. Mix the 2 part putty well (20 parts putty to 1 hardener). When the 2 parts are thoroughly mixed and of a smooth consistent colour the apply to the model. Apply it in manageable areas, although this putty has a long work time you do not want it to go off half way through the Zimm pattern!

4. You then need to wait until the putty develops a 'skin'. When this happens the putty will take an impression from the tool rather than simply sticking to the tool and coming away.

It's then a case of working your way round the model and completing the Zimmerit coating.

Here's a pic of the part finished Zimm with some of the fixtures loosely placed to give an idea of the final effect.

And that's my approach to the Zimm application on this big Panther. (Note: the Zimmerit on this Panther has the vertical pattern. You should check your references for the pattern used on your own particular AFV).

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: